O’s pay the penalty in nine-goal thriller with Benfica B
- Credit: Archant
Pre-season friendly: Benfica B 5 Leyton Orient 4
Leyton Orient were involved in a nine-goal thriller in their second pre-season game of the summer, but unfortunately lost 5-4 to Benfica B on Saturday evening.
The O’s concluded their training camp in Portugal with a friendly fixture which saw a lot of goals scored.
Justin Edinburgh’s team netted after a minute when Ruel Sotiriou was brought down inside the penalty area and new signing James Alabi slotted home from 12-yards.
Benfica B equalised a couple of minutes later when Marvin Ekpiteta committed a foul inside the area and Dean Brill was sent the wrong way.
You may also want to watch:
It was then 2-1 to the Portuguese club in the eighth minute, but the first-half goal action ended there.
Edinburgh made a number of changes in the second half and the hosts added a third early on and then made it 4-1 in the 51st minute.
- 1 Ethnic communities not taking up Covid jabs, Tower Hamlets Mayor warns
- 2 Man sentenced after teenage boy groomed on Snapchat to sell heroin
- 3 'Racist consultation' protest rejected on Tower Hamlets street closures as Labour sticks to its manifesto
- 4 Council fined for Alexia Walenkaki's playground death in Mile End and says sorry to family
- 5 Airbnb house party violence leaves police officer with broken finger
- 6 NHS nurse assaulted at east London hospital
- 7 Police hunt after stabbing in Cable Street: One man hurt
- 8 Covid vaccination hub opening in Westfield next week
- 9 Streets around proposed Chinese embassy building could be renamed after persecuted Muslims
- 10 Death of woman, 75, in Mile End fire could have been avoided
Orient showed good fight, however, to reduce the deficit when David Mooney lobbed Benfica B’s goalkeeper.
It was 4-3 when Myles Judd crossed into the area and the ball fell for James Brophy to volley home.
The O’s scented blood now and levelled with three minutes left when Brophy was fouled inside the area and Macauley Bonne stepped up to equalise.
Unfortunately for Orient their joy was short-lived as another penalty was given away minutes later when Judd committed a foul.
Benfica B’s attacker stepped up and managed to beat Brill even though he dived the right way to conclude the scoring.
Although it was a defeat for the O’s, Edinburgh would have been pleased with some of the attacking play from his side.
He managed to give minutes to 20 members of the squad and will hope minor issues picked up in Portugal are not serious.
Sam Sargeant and Charlie Grainger failed to feature against Benfica B due to illness and groin problems respectively while Sotiriou picked up a knock in the first half.
Leyton Orient: Brill; Ling (Judd 46), Ekpiteta (Coulson 46), Happe (Elokobi 46), Widdowson (Ogie 46); Koroma, McAnuff (Lee 46), Clay (Lawless 46), Dayton (Brophy 46); Sotiriou (Bonne 30), Alabi (Mooney 46).