Bengali school leavers to get East End heritage traineeship
TOWER Hamlets Local History Library is due to run a 12 month traineeship next year, thanks to funding from the Heritage Lottery Fund. Between 2011 and 2013 two local school-leavers of Bengali descent will get on-the-job training in heritage skills includ
TOWER Hamlets' Local History Library is due to run a 12 month traineeship next year, thanks to funding from the Heritage Lottery Fund.
Between 2011 and 2013 two local school-leavers of Bengali descent will get on-the-job training in heritage skills including cataloguing, preservation and research.
The programme, called Opening Up Archives and funded by the Heritage Lottery Fund's Skills For The Future programme, is a nationwide project providing work-based training opportunities and building a more diverse workforce in the field of archives and local history.
In collaboration with Brick Lane-based Bengali heritage organisation The Swadhinata Trust, the trainees recruited in 2011-2012 will be of Bengali descent and will be managed and mentored by the Local History Library and Archives at Bancroft Road and The Swadhinata Trust.
You may also want to watch:
Archives reflecting the Bengali presence in Tower Hamlets will be added to the borough's collections and catalogued by the trainee.
Once approved by Heritage Lottery Fund the first trainee should be in post in April 2011. For more information on the project contact firstname.lastname@example.org or 020 7364 1290.
- 1 Man, 20, found fighting for life at illegal rave in Bow
- 2 Leyton Orient confident next manager will take them to the next level
- 3 Fire breaks out in flat near New Providence Wharf tower block
- 4 Groomed girl speaks out after 'dangerous' Barking dealer who dealt Class A drugs in East End is jailed
- 5 Battle lost to save historic Whitechapel bell foundry
- 6 Trains being tested on Crossrail's Elizabeth line up to four an hour
- 7 Dog festival gets go-ahead for Isle of Dogs, of all places
- 8 South Africa and Indian Covid variants found in Shoreditch and Dalston
- 9 Ex-police officer among group jailed for £850k intercept from rival gangs
- 10 Indian variant of Covid-19 - what's the situation in London?