Bengali school leavers to get East End heritage traineeship
TOWER Hamlets Local History Library is due to run a 12 month traineeship next year, thanks to funding from the Heritage Lottery Fund. Between 2011 and 2013 two local school-leavers of Bengali descent will get on-the-job training in heritage skills includ
TOWER Hamlets' Local History Library is due to run a 12 month traineeship next year, thanks to funding from the Heritage Lottery Fund.
Between 2011 and 2013 two local school-leavers of Bengali descent will get on-the-job training in heritage skills including cataloguing, preservation and research.
The programme, called Opening Up Archives and funded by the Heritage Lottery Fund's Skills For The Future programme, is a nationwide project providing work-based training opportunities and building a more diverse workforce in the field of archives and local history.
In collaboration with Brick Lane-based Bengali heritage organisation The Swadhinata Trust, the trainees recruited in 2011-2012 will be of Bengali descent and will be managed and mentored by the Local History Library and Archives at Bancroft Road and The Swadhinata Trust.
You may also want to watch:
Archives reflecting the Bengali presence in Tower Hamlets will be added to the borough's collections and catalogued by the trainee.
Once approved by Heritage Lottery Fund the first trainee should be in post in April 2011. For more information on the project contact email@example.com or 020 7364 1290.
- 1 Teenager found dead in Victoria Park
- 2 Driver arrested after police 'drugs patrol' stops car in Whitechapel
- 3 Two in five people in Tower Hamlets may have had Covid-19
- 4 Students in rent strike over Queen Mary's campus staying open during Covid emergency
- 5 'Laptop bonanza' for schoolchildren in Poplar to help survive lockdown gloom
- 6 Leyton Orient sign Dan Kemp on a permanent deal from West Ham United
- 7 Drug and alcohol abuse by Tower Hamlets parents and children soars
- 8 That's so raven: Everything you need to know about the guardians of the Tower
- 9 Post deliveries in east London hit by Covid crisis among Royal Mail staff
- 10 Gun seized after woman tells police she was threatened in Whitechapel