Bengali school leavers to get East End heritage traineeship
TOWER Hamlets Local History Library is due to run a 12 month traineeship next year, thanks to funding from the Heritage Lottery Fund. Between 2011 and 2013 two local school-leavers of Bengali descent will get on-the-job training in heritage skills includ
TOWER Hamlets' Local History Library is due to run a 12 month traineeship next year, thanks to funding from the Heritage Lottery Fund.
Between 2011 and 2013 two local school-leavers of Bengali descent will get on-the-job training in heritage skills including cataloguing, preservation and research.
The programme, called Opening Up Archives and funded by the Heritage Lottery Fund's Skills For The Future programme, is a nationwide project providing work-based training opportunities and building a more diverse workforce in the field of archives and local history.
In collaboration with Brick Lane-based Bengali heritage organisation The Swadhinata Trust, the trainees recruited in 2011-2012 will be of Bengali descent and will be managed and mentored by the Local History Library and Archives at Bancroft Road and The Swadhinata Trust.
You may also want to watch:
Archives reflecting the Bengali presence in Tower Hamlets will be added to the borough's collections and catalogued by the trainee.
Once approved by Heritage Lottery Fund the first trainee should be in post in April 2011. For more information on the project contact email@example.com or 020 7364 1290.
- 1 Police bid to trace man in connection with Tube station sex assault
- 2 Jailed: Bethnal Green man who tried to buy hand grenade to use on police
- 3 Met launches summer operation as teen killings surge
- 4 Whitechapel lab to research East End's high throat cancer rates
- 5 'Tokyo Olympics? Tough call after Covid,' says Montell Douglas
- 6 Trial date set for MP Apsana Begum charged with 'housing fraud'
- 7 'We need more Covid vaccines,' Tower Hamlets mayor warns
- 8 Tributes paid after Tower Hamlets councillor dies at 40
- 9 Rabina Khan: What we must do five years on from Brexit referendum
- 10 Campaign groups link up for Hackney Town Hall anti-road closure demo