Best GCSEs ever at Bethnal Green’s Morpeth including kid with 12 A*s
- Credit: Archant
Morpeth Secondary in London’s East End had its best ever GCSE results for the second year running.
One pupil, 16-year-old Joshua Vernon, got straight A*s in all his 12 subjects.
He plans to do five A-levels next year, then hopefully take philosophy at university.
It was a grand finale for Sir Alastair Macdonald who retires at the end of the month after 21 years as head teacher.
He has seen the number of top-graders going up from 16 when he first joined the 1,200-pupil school in Bethnal Green in 1992 to today’s 162, a tenfold increase.
You may also want to watch:
Almost a quarter of those who took the exam managed to get three A* and As at least, with 10 of them getting a combination of 12 As and A*.
The 24 per cent of top graders beat last year’s 17 per cent which was itself the school’s best ever year.
- 1 Tribute to 7th Barts Health Trust worker to die of Covid-19
- 2 Airbnb house party violence leaves police officer with broken finger
- 3 Teenager found dead in Victoria Park
- 4 Drug and alcohol abuse by Tower Hamlets parents and children soars
- 5 Driver arrested after police 'drugs patrol' stops car in Whitechapel
- 6 'We need laptops for lockdown children to learn from home’ Tower Hamlets mayor urges
- 7 Disgraceful management of the pandemic
- 8 Two in five people in Tower Hamlets may have had Covid-19
- 9 Post deliveries in east London hit by Covid crisis among Royal Mail staff