Bethnal Green bike shop worker to run marathon for Whizz-Kidz
- Credit: Archant
Keen to raise money for a charity close to his heart, a Bethnal Green bike enthusiast has decided to swap his helmet for a headband to run the London Marathon for Whizz-kidz.
Jolyon Whaymand, 26 works at Bikeworks on Cambridge Heath Road where he helps create cycling opportunities for children with physical disabilities and learning difficulties.
His charity of choice supports disabled children by working hard to ensure each child has the opportunities to get the most out of youth, a cause which “hit a chord” for him.
“They do amazing things to support and provide young disabled people with mobility chairs and opportunities to get out and enjoy life” said Jolyon.
“I want to raise as much as I can for them and also raise awareness about the charity within my own circles.”
You may also want to watch:
Since November, Jolyne has been running three to four times a week, a regime he knows he will need to stick to in order to get through his first marathon.
“I’m also really looking forward to the challenge, i’ve never done anything like this before and I thought I might as well just throw myself in the deep end and go for it.”
- 1 Luxury Canary Wharf flats going for lower rent set by the council
- 2 Driver, 18, wanted for driving wrong way through Blackwall Tunnel
- 3 Isle of Dogs man who murdered teenager at Crossharbour DLR sentenced to 27 years
- 4 Road and rail disruptions to expect in east London this week
- 5 Man charged after triple stabbing on night bus in Mile End
- 6 'Grief and queer coming of age' theatre show to be put on for London Horror Festival
- 7 Go-ahead given for 315 more homes in third stage of Blackwall Reach scheme
- 8 Why TfL won't restart the night tube on Jubilee line just yet
- 9 19 arrested and cash seized in East End dawn drug raids
- 10 14 charged with alleged drug dealing and money laundering offences
He will be joined by his colleague Jim Blackmore, 39, who will also be running for the same charity.
You can help Jolyon raise money for Whizz-kidz by visiting his just giving page: http://www.justgiving.com/jolyonwhaymand.