Bethnal Green night market cancelled due to predicted extreme weather
- Credit: PA Images
A Bethnal Green night market has been cancelled because of the extreme weather forecast for this weekend.
The final Oval Night Market of the summer, which was due to take place today (Friday, August 9) and tomorrow (Saturday, August 10), will not go ahead after the Met Office predicated gales to hit London.
It has issued a "yellow warning" across the capital and the south east with "strong winds are expected to cause some disruption".
The market, which was inspired by New York-style road-block parties, was set to showcase food, drink and fashion stalls along with bands and entertainment.
Tower Hamlets Council said: "Sadly, due to the extreme wind forecast, the Oval Night Market will not be taking place. Thank you to everyone who joined us this summer and look out for a autumn edition."
You may also want to watch:
Market organisers said: "We've agreed it would not be either big, clever or most importantly safe to go ahead."
- 1 The Queen lends her name to Royal London’s emergency Covid wards
- 2 Tribute to 7th Barts Health Trust worker to die of Covid-19
- 3 Airbnb house party violence leaves police officer with broken finger
- 4 Teenager found dead in Victoria Park
- 5 'We need laptops for lockdown children to learn from home’ Tower Hamlets mayor urges
- 6 Driver arrested after police 'drugs patrol' stops car in Whitechapel
- 7 Death of woman, 75, in Mile End fire could have been avoided
- 8 Drug and alcohol abuse by Tower Hamlets parents and children soars
- 9 Have you seen this 52-year-old man missing from Ilford?
- 10 How seaweed can help save the planet, east London inventor reveals