Bethnal Green rebuild praised for improving the East End
A set of modernised blocks on an East End housing estate have won an award for vastly improving the area.
The copper-fronted homes in Claredale Street, Bethnal Green won architects Karakusevic Carson a Civic Trust Award earlier this month.
Situated between Hackney Road and Bethnal Green Road, the blocks include 77 mixed-tenure properties.
Both apartments and terraced houses are cleverly incorporated in the modern structure.
When they were completed in November, planning chiefs at the Greater London Authority described the designs as “one of the best examples of estate regeneration”.
You may also want to watch:
The project has already won Building for Life’s gold standard award and Housing Design’s Richard Feilden accolade.
The block is part of the Mansford Estates, which houses 700 residents in a deprived part of Tower Hamlets.
- 1 East London's 10 prettiest streets to visit
- 2 Police officer sacked after criminal conviction
- 3 Road and rail round-up: Steer clear of these disruptions next week
- 4 Man who stabbed teen at Crossharbour station found guilty of murder
- 5 Man in 30s dies after Isle of Dogs stabbing
- 6 Three places to go pumpkin picking near east London
- 7 Brigade issues fire safety warning after Limehouse studio blaze
- 8 Police patrols to increase after fatal Isle of Dogs stabbing
- 9 Concern growing for man last seen at Bow Road station
- 10 Khalid Ali couldn't hide delight after winning start against Dean Wilkinson