Bethnal Green rebuild praised for improving the East End
A set of modernised blocks on an East End housing estate have won an award for vastly improving the area.
The copper-fronted homes in Claredale Street, Bethnal Green won architects Karakusevic Carson a Civic Trust Award earlier this month.
Situated between Hackney Road and Bethnal Green Road, the blocks include 77 mixed-tenure properties.
Both apartments and terraced houses are cleverly incorporated in the modern structure.
When they were completed in November, planning chiefs at the Greater London Authority described the designs as “one of the best examples of estate regeneration”.
You may also want to watch:
The project has already won Building for Life’s gold standard award and Housing Design’s Richard Feilden accolade.
The block is part of the Mansford Estates, which houses 700 residents in a deprived part of Tower Hamlets.
- 1 Police bid to trace man in connection with Tube station sex assault
- 2 Jailed: Bethnal Green man who tried to buy hand grenade to use on police
- 3 'We need more Covid vaccines,' Tower Hamlets mayor warns
- 4 Met launches summer operation as teen killings surge
- 5 Rabina Khan: What we must do five years on from Brexit referendum
- 6 Tributes paid after Tower Hamlets councillor dies at 40
- 7 Trial date set for MP Apsana Begum charged with 'housing fraud'
- 8 Unmesh Desai: 'Councillor's sudden death leaves huge void'
- 9 Friends of John Pierce compiling 'book of memories' for his family
- 10 Whitechapel lab to research East End's high throat cancer rates