Bethnal Green’s Cheryl Baker prepares for London Marathon
- Credit: Archant
Former Bucks Fizz singer Cheryl Baker is teaming up with an old school friend for her second London Marathon, after describing her first as “torture”.
Cheryl will be running with Janice Rucklidge (formerly Janice Nesling) who attended Bethnal Green’s Morpeth School with her – but says her training has been hindered by the weather.
“I did it once before two years ago and training was great because the weather was great – but this time it’s been hell because of the weather”, she confessed.
This year, Cheryl is running for children’s hospice Demelza House, and is hoping to raise as much as £5,000 for the cause.
She said she ranks the feeling of running down The Mall finishing her first marathon alongside winning the Eurovision song contest in 1981 – but that doesn’t mean she thinks Sunday’s race will be fun.
“There’s nothing comfortable about running a marathon”, she said.
“It really shouldn’t be allowed - the human body isn’t prepared for that kind of torture!”
- 1 Single van racks up £36k of fines in Tower Hamlets
- 2 Man jailed for rape after attacking woman walking back from Canning Town
- 3 Delayed Canary Wharf 'portacabin' hotel hopes to open in 2022
- 4 County lines drug dealer jailed
- 5 Possible travel disruptions for central London this week
- 6 Liveable Streets: Councillors remove some Brick Lane closures after 'backlash'
- 7 Free vegan food at Spitalfields Market
- 8 Housing association apologises after sewage leaks at Isle of Dogs tower blocks
- 9 Trio accused of Bow Lock murder were 'associates' of victim 'Aqil' Mahdi
- 10 East London man charged with six terrorism offences
To sponsor Cheryl, visit www.virginmoneygiving.com/teamrundemelza.