Bethnal Green United footballer to play for his country
AN EAST End footballer could soon be scoring for his country after clinching a place in the Nigerian squad. Bethnal Green United player Ajay Olatunbosun will be joining up with the Nigerian Under-23 development squad at a training camp at Loftus Road in
AN EAST End footballer could soon be scoring for his country after clinching a place in the Nigerian squad.
Bethnal Green United player Ajay Olatunbosun will be joining up with the Nigerian Under-23 development squad at a training camp at Loftus Road in April in the hope of winning a place in a friendly match against Poland.
The 21-year-old centre back, who was born in Nigeria and moved to England to be with his parents in 1998, works part-time as a football coach at Tower Hamlets College.
He studied a BTEC in Travel and Tourism at the college in Poplar until last year and captained the football team before accepting an offer to combine his football with coaching his old team.
The former Milton Keynes Don trainee insists he was shocked to hear of the international interest.
He said: "My agent rang me on Friday and I thought he must be winding me up.
- 1 Jailed: 8 east London offenders put behind bars in June
- 2 Former Tower Hamlets councillor publishes autobiography on life as a hijabi woman
- 3 Police officer sacked for 'turning blind eye’ to criminal husband
- 4 Bow Lock murder defendants blame each other for fatal attack
- 5 Three stabbed in Chrisp Street chicken shop
- 6 Woman treated at scene as 40 firefighters called to Bow tower block
- 7 8 charged after drugs raids in Hackney and Tower Hamlets
- 8 Census 2021 indicates baby boom in one east London borough
- 9 Man accused of Yasmin Begum killing denies murder and burglary
- 10 Council rapped by ombudsman after not following safeguarding procedures
"It was totally unexpected and I was convinced someone was playing a practical joke.
"It only started to sink in that it was really happening when my friends and family started ringing to congratulate me.
"It is a dream come true to play for your country and especially in a great stadium like Loftus Road. I hope I can give a good account of myself.