Biased East End Life’ refuses to print alternative budge
Dear Ed, RESIDENTS complain that Tower Hamlets council’s freesheet newspaper East End Life’ an extension of the Town Hall Labour Party and is pure propaganda. It dedicated page after page to Labour’s budget proposals—but has refused to print anything of the Conservative’s alternative budget!
RESIDENTS often complain to me that Tower Hamlets council’s freesheet newspaper East End Life’ is nothing but an extension of the Town Hall Labour Party and as a result is a pure propaganda sheet.
East End Life’ denies this and claims it is non-biased and has “an independent editorial.”
Well, it’s fascinating that East End Life’ dedicated page after page to Labour’s budget proposals—but has refused to print anything of the Conservative’s alternative budget!
You may also want to watch:
We are the Official Opposition on the authority and produced a legal and achievable budget that would have put more police on the streets, provided more housing and cut council tax by one per cent without cutting any frontline services.
Perhaps the reason they refused to print anything was because we also proposed scrapping East End Life’ and saving council taxpayers �700,000 a year.
- 1 Leyton Orient still looking to add one or two new signings
- 2 Poplar MP tells court: 'I fled home when brother said I was possessed'
- 3 Covid stats show cases rising across east London boroughs
- 4 John McDonnell is character witness for Poplar MP accused of housing fraud
- 5 ‘Humanitarian disaster’ food shortage for East End families in poverty
- 6 Driver demo blocks Uber's Whitechapel HQ in termination appeals dispute
- 7 Community patrols to stamp out Poplar's street crime
- 8 Apsana Begum's ex-husband may be behind housing bids, trial hears
- 9 A look back at floods which have devastated east London since 2016
- 10 Ice cream parlour with 'no added sugar' to open in Canary Wharf
London Mayor Boris Johnson has now scrapped City Hall’s The Londoner’ free newspaper, saving millions—and he’s invested some of that saving into planting thousands of new trees as well as being able to freeze the GLA’s part of the council tax bill.
Unfortunately, the other thing East End Life’ forgot to mention is that the Labour-run council is increasing council tax by 2.3 per cent, but claiming its only 1.6 per cent.
Council tax bills are hitting the doormats this week. Have a look and you’ll see the Tower Hamlets council tax charge is up by 2.3 per cent. It’s there in black and white, whatever East End Life’ may claim!
Cllr Tim Archer (Con)
Blackwall & Cubitt Town ward
Tower Hamlets Council
Prospective Parliamentary candidate for Poplar & Limehouse
Saundersness Road, Cubitt Town, Isle of Dogs