Biased East End Life’ refuses to print alternative budge
Dear Ed, RESIDENTS complain that Tower Hamlets council’s freesheet newspaper East End Life’ an extension of the Town Hall Labour Party and is pure propaganda. It dedicated page after page to Labour’s budget proposals—but has refused to print anything of the Conservative’s alternative budget!
RESIDENTS often complain to me that Tower Hamlets council’s freesheet newspaper East End Life’ is nothing but an extension of the Town Hall Labour Party and as a result is a pure propaganda sheet.
East End Life’ denies this and claims it is non-biased and has “an independent editorial.”
Well, it’s fascinating that East End Life’ dedicated page after page to Labour’s budget proposals—but has refused to print anything of the Conservative’s alternative budget!
You may also want to watch:
We are the Official Opposition on the authority and produced a legal and achievable budget that would have put more police on the streets, provided more housing and cut council tax by one per cent without cutting any frontline services.
Perhaps the reason they refused to print anything was because we also proposed scrapping East End Life’ and saving council taxpayers �700,000 a year.
- 1 Tower Hamlets votes to keep directly-elected mayoral post
- 2 Election 2021: Live updates for GLA seat and referendums
- 3 Early front-runners for Leyton Orient managerial vacancy
- 4 Blaze at Canary Wharf tower block with cladding issue
- 5 Racist vandalism keyed on cars parked in street on Isle of Dogs
- 6 Leyton Orient defender Josh Coulson set to depart
- 7 Mum praises 'amazing' NHS staff who saved 'precious' tot's life
- 8 'I'm backing leader and cabinet model in Tower Hamlets referendum'
- 9 Teenager arrested after 13-year-old stabbed in Isle of Dogs
- 10 Politicians join forces on referendum about Tower Hamlets mayor
London Mayor Boris Johnson has now scrapped City Hall’s The Londoner’ free newspaper, saving millions—and he’s invested some of that saving into planting thousands of new trees as well as being able to freeze the GLA’s part of the council tax bill.
Unfortunately, the other thing East End Life’ forgot to mention is that the Labour-run council is increasing council tax by 2.3 per cent, but claiming its only 1.6 per cent.
Council tax bills are hitting the doormats this week. Have a look and you’ll see the Tower Hamlets council tax charge is up by 2.3 per cent. It’s there in black and white, whatever East End Life’ may claim!
Cllr Tim Archer (Con)
Blackwall & Cubitt Town ward
Tower Hamlets Council
Prospective Parliamentary candidate for Poplar & Limehouse
Saundersness Road, Cubitt Town, Isle of Dogs