Big Ben bell foundry launches online shop
An age-old bell-making ccompany has made a concession to the modern world by launching an online shop.
The Whitechapel Bell Foundry is the UK’s oldest manufacturing company after being established in 1570 and moving to its current premises on Whitechapel Road in 1670.
During its long history it has cast such famous bells as the original Big Ben and the Liberty Bell, the symbol of American independence.
Today the family-owned business is run by Alan and Kathryn Hughes and now shoppers can buy a range of bells, from handbells to door bell systems, from the company’s online shop.
“The sort of things we’re selling start with our smallest bell, which can be used for ringing for tea, that sort of thing,” said Kathryn.
You may also want to watch:
“Then there’s our table bell, our bracket bells – the sort used in school playgrounds – and doorbells. People are into doorbells at the moment, real ones, not buzzy ones.”
- 1 Teenager found dead in Victoria Park
- 2 Driver arrested after police 'drugs patrol' stops car in Whitechapel
- 3 Two in five people in Tower Hamlets may have had Covid-19
- 4 Students in rent strike over Queen Mary's campus staying open during Covid emergency
- 5 'Laptop bonanza' for schoolchildren in Poplar to help survive lockdown gloom
- 6 Leyton Orient sign Dan Kemp on a permanent deal from West Ham United
- 7 Drug and alcohol abuse by Tower Hamlets parents and children soars
- 8 That's so raven: Everything you need to know about the guardians of the Tower
- 9 Post deliveries in east London hit by Covid crisis among Royal Mail staff
- 10 Gun seized after woman tells police she was threatened in Whitechapel