Big Brother is watching you—if you’re up to no good
AT LEAST one arrest a day results from a surveillance camera in a street near you. That makes an average of one for every six cameras operated by Tower Hamlets council on the streets of London’s East End for the month of November, according to figures released today
AT LEAST one arrest a day results from a surveillance camera in a street near you.
That makes an average of one for every six cameras operated by Tower Hamlets council on the streets of London’s East End for the month of November, according to figures released today (Monday).
“If you’re up to no good, it’s worth remembering there might just be someone watching you,” said council cabinet member Abdal Ullah. “The cameras are there to keep the law abiding majority safe.”
There are 230 CCTV cameras on the streets of Tower Hamlets with 70 on direct view at any one time.
You may also want to watch:
Operators manning the council’s monitoring centre at Blackwall have been tipping the police if they spot what they think is a crime.
They alerted police to criminal activity which led to 39 arrests during November.
- 1 Trial date set for MP Apsana Begum charged with 'housing fraud'
- 2 Friends of John Pierce compiling 'book of memories' for his family
- 3 Tributes paid after Tower Hamlets councillor dies at 40
- 4 Police renew appeal over disappearance of man last seen in Poplar
- 5 It's been a busy week at Leyton Orient with plenty of signings expected
- 6 Trees now up for 'adoption' to help make East End greener
- 7 Docklands man pleads guilty to firearms offences
- 8 Driver threatened at gunpoint in Bromley-by-Bow carjacking
- 9 Live audience ban forces east London talent show to go on YouTube
- 10 Phone snatcher admits guilt after robberies in Islington, Hackney and Tower Hamlets
Among the crimes detected were seven assaults, five public order offences, four robberies, four criminal damage offences and three people caught possessing drugs.
The control room opened in 2006 and has been developing since then, with operators now on duty 24 hours a day.