‘Big Gig’ turns east London’s Victoria Park into a musical fiesta
- Credit: TH Council
A musical fiesta of local talent attracted 600 revellers to East London’s Victoria Park as part of the third ‘Our Big Gig’ event held up and down the country.
The annual community music celebration brings together musical talent while inspiring others to get involved in music-making.
Victoria Park Friends Group organised this year’s event with Tower Hamlets Council, which featured the East London Late Starts Orchestra, London Metropolitan Brass, London Saxophone Choir and Shkembe Soup.
“People had a chance to try out brass instruments, strings and dance along to the bands,” the Friends Group’s Richard Desmond said. “Our Big Gig brought music to the park with brass bands, a full orchestra, choirs, singer-songwriters and bands.”
Joining in the music-making were Sing Tower Hamlets, J Eoin and Victoria Park Singers, while 180 events took place across Britain to bring communities together.
The Friends Group also books musicians for the bandstand through the summer. Vicky Park plays host to several family fun days over the summer, starting with the annual Great Day Out event on August 9, from 11am to 5pm.
- 1 Single van racks up £36k of fines in Tower Hamlets
- 2 Possible travel disruptions for central London this week
- 3 Man jailed for rape after attacking woman walking back from Canning Town
- 4 County lines drug dealer jailed
- 5 Weather warning issued ahead of expected gale force winds in London
- 6 Leyton Orient progress in FA Cup with huge win over Tranmere
- 7 Delayed Canary Wharf 'portacabin' hotel hopes to open in 2022
- 8 Liveable Streets: Councillors remove some Brick Lane closures after 'backlash'
- 9 Trio accused of Bow Lock murder were 'associates' of victim 'Aqil' Mahdi
- 10 Man masturbates on Central line train in front of two women