‘Big Gig’ turns east London’s Victoria Park into a musical fiesta
- Credit: TH Council
A musical fiesta of local talent attracted 600 revellers to East London’s Victoria Park as part of the third ‘Our Big Gig’ event held up and down the country.
The annual community music celebration brings together musical talent while inspiring others to get involved in music-making.
Victoria Park Friends Group organised this year’s event with Tower Hamlets Council, which featured the East London Late Starts Orchestra, London Metropolitan Brass, London Saxophone Choir and Shkembe Soup.
“People had a chance to try out brass instruments, strings and dance along to the bands,” the Friends Group’s Richard Desmond said. “Our Big Gig brought music to the park with brass bands, a full orchestra, choirs, singer-songwriters and bands.”
Joining in the music-making were Sing Tower Hamlets, J Eoin and Victoria Park Singers, while 180 events took place across Britain to bring communities together.
You may also want to watch:
The Friends Group also books musicians for the bandstand through the summer. Vicky Park plays host to several family fun days over the summer, starting with the annual Great Day Out event on August 9, from 11am to 5pm.
- 1 Ethnic communities not taking up Covid jabs, Tower Hamlets Mayor warns
- 2 'Racist consultation' protest rejected on Tower Hamlets street closures as Labour sticks to its manifesto
- 3 Council fined for Alexia Walenkaki's playground death in Mile End and says sorry to family
- 4 Airbnb house party violence leaves police officer with broken finger
- 5 Man sentenced after teenage boy groomed on Snapchat to sell heroin
- 6 Police hunt after stabbing in Cable Street: One man hurt
- 7 NHS nurse assaulted at east London hospital
- 8 Streets around proposed Chinese embassy building could be renamed after persecuted Muslims
- 9 Teenager found dead in Victoria Park
- 10 How seaweed can help save the planet, east London inventor reveals