Big leaps made in East End school building programme
A SCHOOL building programme is surging ahead, with financial contracts signed for four schools over the past four months. The final sign off means the modernisation of the four schools is ready to go ahead as part of the Government s Building Schools for
A SCHOOL building programme is surging ahead, with financial contracts signed for four schools over the past four months.
The final sign off means the modernisation of the four schools is ready to go ahead as part of the Government's Building Schools for the Future programme which is due to transform 21 secondary schools across the borough.
The contracts closed for Oaklands and Ian Mikardo, which has already moved to temporary premises, on April 1 and work has already started at Morpeth and Sir John Cass, whose contracts closed in December and February.
Tower Hamleyts council's development chief Aman Dalvi said: "This is great news for pupils, parents and teachers across the borough.
You may also want to watch:
"They are going to see more new buildings constructed, complete with comprehensive facilities, as we continue to deliver on our promise to renew secondary schools across Tower Hamlets.
"To accomplish four financial contract closes within four months is a real achievement and we will continue to work hard to deliver the Building Schools for the Future programme in a timely manner."
- 1 Ethnic communities not taking up Covid jabs, Tower Hamlets Mayor warns
- 2 'Racist consultation' protest rejected on Tower Hamlets street closures as Labour sticks to its manifesto
- 3 Airbnb house party violence leaves police officer with broken finger
- 4 Council fined for Alexia Walenkaki's playground death in Mile End and says sorry to family
- 5 Streets around proposed Chinese embassy building could be renamed after persecuted Muslims
- 6 Police hunt after stabbing in Cable Street: One man hurt
- 7 Police raid cannabis factory near Liverpool Street station: 2 arrests
- 8 No injuries but 20 rescued as firefighters tackle Limehouse blaze
- 9 Teenager found dead in Victoria Park
A new building will be constructed on Oaklands' existing play ground and the current Victorian and 1990's facilities will be remodelled and modernised.
Work is due to start later this month on the �14 million project.
In May the �4 million building project at Ian Mikardo School will start. Part of the existing building will be demolished and rebuilt to suit the school's flexible curriculum.
The �22 million improvements at Morpeth will come over two stages and will include a new three storey building and sports hall.
A new five storey building is being built at Sir John Cass School, giving the school new computer and technology facilities, classrooms and a new library.