Big leaps made in East End school building programme
A SCHOOL building programme is surging ahead, with financial contracts signed for four schools over the past four months. The final sign off means the modernisation of the four schools is ready to go ahead as part of the Government s Building Schools for
A SCHOOL building programme is surging ahead, with financial contracts signed for four schools over the past four months.
The final sign off means the modernisation of the four schools is ready to go ahead as part of the Government's Building Schools for the Future programme which is due to transform 21 secondary schools across the borough.
The contracts closed for Oaklands and Ian Mikardo, which has already moved to temporary premises, on April 1 and work has already started at Morpeth and Sir John Cass, whose contracts closed in December and February.
Tower Hamleyts council's development chief Aman Dalvi said: "This is great news for pupils, parents and teachers across the borough.
You may also want to watch:
"They are going to see more new buildings constructed, complete with comprehensive facilities, as we continue to deliver on our promise to renew secondary schools across Tower Hamlets.
"To accomplish four financial contract closes within four months is a real achievement and we will continue to work hard to deliver the Building Schools for the Future programme in a timely manner."
- 1 Politicians join forces on referendum about Tower Hamlets mayor
- 2 Mayor or leader: Your choice on May 6
- 3 Covid patients in intensive care down to single figures at hospital trust
- 4 Covid-19 mass testing after variant detected in E1 postal area
- 5 Teenager arrested after 13-year-old stabbed in Isle of Dogs
- 6 Fast broadband deal is signed for thousands of East End homes
- 7 Voting in the Isle of Dogs Neighbourhood Planning Referendum
- 8 Ramadan explained: Everything you need to know about the Islamic holy month
- 9 'I'm backing leader and cabinet model in Tower Hamlets referendum'
- 10 Hundreds of boilers break down in the East End during pandemic
A new building will be constructed on Oaklands' existing play ground and the current Victorian and 1990's facilities will be remodelled and modernised.
Work is due to start later this month on the �14 million project.
In May the �4 million building project at Ian Mikardo School will start. Part of the existing building will be demolished and rebuilt to suit the school's flexible curriculum.
The �22 million improvements at Morpeth will come over two stages and will include a new three storey building and sports hall.
A new five storey building is being built at Sir John Cass School, giving the school new computer and technology facilities, classrooms and a new library.