Big Thames clean-up along Isle of Dogs foreshore
VOLUNTEERS are rolling up their sleeves for a four-day Thames clean-up starting Thursday to get rid of rubbish from the foreshore. The Thames 21 charity is running a flash mob’ of volunteers at four sites along the river to clear pollution that builds up by the tidal flow
VOLUNTEERS are rolling up their sleeves for a four-day Thames clean-up starting Thursday to get rid of rubbish from the foreshore.
The Thames 21 London waterways charity is running a flash mob’ of volunteers at four sites along the river to clear pollution that builds up by the tidal flow.
The worst’ stretch is along the Limehouse Reach down to the bottom of the Isle of Dogs in East London, where the current deposits tonnes of rubbish on the sharp loop in the river.
You may also want to watch:
The annual clean-up by the charity starts Thursday and Friday in Fulham, then moves downriver to Woolwich on Saturday (August 22) and the Isle of Dogs the next day (August 23).
Volunteers on Sunday at the Isle of Dogs are being asked to meet at 9.30am, while the tide is out, at Newcastle Draw Dock, off Saunders Ness Road, Cubitt Town, on the foreshore opposite Greenwich and the O2 Dome. Nearest station is DLR Island Gardens.
Volunteers can contact co-ordinator James Aldous by email here.
- 1 Cops break Covid-19 rules to have haircuts at Bethnal Green police station
- 2 Murder arrest after woman stabbed to death in Whitechapel this morning
- 3 'Grenfell Tower'-type cladding still not removed from New Providence Wharf after 3 years
- 4 Lovely Day for Aldgate School picked to sing on Billy Ocean's new single
- 5 Covid hero who did charity walk in Bow aged 100 now has vaccine
- 6 Police e-fit expert retiring after 15 years at Bethnal Green
- 7 Fury as family homes vanish when Isle of Dogs landlord converts to bedsits
- 8 Man sentenced after teenage boy groomed on Snapchat to sell heroin
- 9 Two men arrested after police officers assaulted in Limehouse rave
- 10 Leyton Orient boss Embleton could rotate team for Bolton trip