Biggs bashes Boris over Columbus Tower
LONDON Assembly member John Biggs has criticised Boris Johnson over his decision to grant planning permission for the capital s tallest building despite the development being refused by Tower Hamlets council s planning committee. Mr Biggs has accused the
LONDON Assembly member John Biggs has criticised Boris Johnson over his decision to grant planning permission for the capital's tallest building despite the development being refused by Tower Hamlets council's planning committee.
Mr Biggs has accused the Mayor of London of ignoring the advice of the council after he approved the construction of the 67-storey Coloumbus Tower at West India Quay, which was rejected by committee members at the strategic development committee over the summer.
But the Mayor has used new powers to give the tower the green light. When built it will be taller than London's current tallest building One Canada Square in nearby Canary Wharf.
Mr Biggs, Assembly member for City and East, said that the Mayor had gone back on his opposition to tall buildings and his promise to respect local decision-making.
You may also want to watch:
He also questioned the �4 million promised by developers Commercial Estates for a contribution to Crossrail.
Mr Biggs said: "Of course Crossrail is a hugely important project. My point is that the Mayor should not use important decisions that will impact massively on East London as part of a trade-off.
- 1 'Stop building more towers,' MP at protest after New Providence Wharf fire
- 2 Groomed girl speaks out after 'dangerous' Barking dealer who dealt Class A drugs in East End is jailed
- 3 Racist vandalism keyed on cars parked in street on Isle of Dogs
- 4 Leyton Orient have announced their retained list as they begin rebuild
- 5 MP's fury at four-year delay removing Grenfell-type cladding from block
- 6 Tower Hamlets votes to keep directly-elected mayoral post
- 7 'Halt to development draining services' after win for neighbourhood plan
- 8 Unmesh Desai on his priorities after winning City and East election
- 9 Masks scrapped 'as early as next month' and over 35s jabs 'soon'
- 10 Blaze at Canary Wharf tower block with cladding issue
"I would be interested to see how keen he would be to approve an enormous tower block in Kensington and Chelsea or his other favourite boroughs. Every one of his actions demonstrates how little he cares for east London.