Bike patrol cops aim to puncture London’s cycle theft trade
A 30-STRONG police cycle task force’ has hit the streets to tackle London’s growing wave of bike thefts. The two-wheel patrols are targeting organised cycle theft and criminal damage
A 30-STRONG police cycle 'task force' has hit the streets to tackle London's growing wave of bike thefts.
The two-wheel patrols are targeting cycle theft and criminal damage to bicycles, working with neighbourhood police and transport police teams.
The squad is part of City Hall's draft Cycle Security Plan to puncture organised cycle theft and disrupt the trade of stolen second-hand bikes on websites.
The cycle cops are also running undercover operations as well as high visibility patrols in crime 'hot spots.'
You may also want to watch:
Part of the overall plan is setting up CCTV and better lighting at cycle parking locations to help prevent theft and deter criminals.
- 1 Teenager found dead in Victoria Park
- 2 Driver arrested after police 'drugs patrol' stops car in Whitechapel
- 3 Two in five people in Tower Hamlets may have had Covid-19
- 4 'I can save the planet with my seaweed' scientist in east London claims
- 5 Drug and alcohol abuse by Tower Hamlets parents and children soars
- 6 Disgraceful management of the pandemic
- 7 'Laptop bonanza' for schoolchildren in Poplar to help survive lockdown gloom
- 8 Post deliveries in east London hit by Covid crisis among Royal Mail staff
- 9 That's so raven: Everything you need to know about the guardians of the Tower
- 10 Pressure on government to provide laptops for lockdown learning