Birds dying as snow covers food supply, RSPB warns
WILD birds are in danger of freezing or starving to death in London because of this week’s snow, the RSPB warned today.Now the society’s London Team has started a cold weather’ appeal urging householders to put out fatty scraps and water to help birds survive the bitter winter
WILD birds are in danger of freezing or starving to death in London because of this week’s snow, the RSPB warned today.
Now the society’s London Team has started a cold weather’ appeal urging householders to put out fatty scraps and water to help birds survive the bitter winter.
The heavy snowfall has covered food sources like seeds, berries and grubs, leaving birds struggling to feed themselves and keep warm, it warns.
“Food means more than just keeping the stomach full for a bird,” explains the RSPB’s Tim Webb. “It means maintaining body temperature to keep warm to survive another bitter night.
“Birds need energy from fat and protein, as well as clean, unfrozen water to drink.”
You may also want to watch:
Birds can’t store fat like mammals, yet have a relatively high body temperature, he points out. Without food for energy, they die.
The snow may force some rural birds to seek food in built-up areas like London. Many migrate south along the Lea Valley into East London. Householders may spot unusual birds in their gardens foraging for berries and grubs.
- 1 Man sentenced after teenage boy groomed on Snapchat to sell heroin
- 2 'Racist consultation' protest rejected on Tower Hamlets street closures as Labour sticks to its manifesto
- 3 NHS nurse assaulted at east London hospital
- 4 Council fined for Alexia Walenkaki's playground death in Mile End and says sorry to family
- 5 Airbnb house party violence leaves police officer with broken finger
- 6 Covid vaccination hub opening in Westfield next week
- 7 Ethnic communities not taking up Covid jabs, Tower Hamlets Mayor warns
- 8 Police hunt after stabbing in Cable Street: One man hurt
- 9 Death of woman, 75, in Mile End fire could have been avoided
- 10 Driver arrested after police 'drugs patrol' stops car in Whitechapel