Bishop of London celebrates East End church's 50th anniversary
THE Bishop of London praised an East End church for continuing to inspire when he joined parishioners in celebrating its 50th anniversary. Dr Richard Chartres led a special service last night at St Paul s in Bow Common to mark half a century since the
THE Bishop of London praised an East End church for "continuing to inspire" when he joined parishioners in celebrating its 50th anniversary.
Dr Richard Chartres led a special service last night at St Paul's in Bow Common to mark half a century since the church was rebuilt after being damaged in the Second World War.
The bishop joined the vicar of the Burdett Road church, Reverend Duncan Ross, as he welcomed present and past members of the congregation and performed a Eucharist of Thanksgiving.
He said: "Much that was created and expressed in the 1960's has not stood the test of time. St Paul's and the life it has incubated is an exception.
You may also want to watch:
"St Paul's not only survives but continues to disturb and inspire.
"Under Duncan Ross and the community that worships here now the gate of heaven has been thrown open in ways that would have been hard to predict in 1960.
- 1 Teenager suffers 'life-changing' injuries after alleged attack in Shadwell
- 2 Man who died in Mile End park named
- 3 Truman Brewery offices, shops and restaurants plan gets green light
- 4 Two men rescued from Shadwell flat fire
- 5 Jailed: Tower Hamlets man who tried to rape another man
- 6 Two men arrested in connection with Shadwell double stabbing
- 7 'Food delivery' youth in suspect Shoreditch drugs bust
- 8 Truman's Brewery future being debated at Tower Hamlets Council
- 9 Councillor ex-husband of MP Apsana Begum suspended from Labour Party
- 10 Rape victim speaks out as Met Police relaunch Ask for Angela scheme