Bishop of London leads 300th birthday for Sir John Cass school
THE Bishop of London held a special service to mark the 300th anniversary of one of London’s oldest Church of England primary schools. Dr Richard Chartres led the commemorations at St Botolph’s Church at Aldgate for Sir John Cass, the only state primary in the City
THE Bishop of London held a special service to mark the 300th anniversary of one of London’s oldest Church of England primary schools.
Dr Richard Chartres led the commemorations at St Botolph’s Church at Aldgate for neighbouring Sir John Cass, the only state primary school in the City of London, blending modern and traditional hymns.
“Sir John Cass is serving the community in a very remarkable way,” he said. “I was impressed by the involvement of parents in every aspect of the school. The Head deserves a medal and I was glad to give him one at the St Botolph’s service.”
The service was part of a month-long celebration of the school’s 300th anniversary including a 100th birthday party for the school building at Aldgate, a visit from a London Pearly King, George Major, and a 1710’ theme day when the children and teachers dressed up in eighteenth century clobber.
You may also want to watch:
Head Teacher Gerry Loughran said: “It was wonderful having the Bishop at our school to help our Tercentenary celebrations. The children were impressed by his story on how to be generous, which used Sir John Cass as a role model.”
Sir John Cass is the only state primary school in the Square Mile. The present building in Aldgate is within 100 yards of the small school house’ leased by Sir John Cass in 1710.
- 1 Mayor or leader: Your choice on May 6
- 2 Covid-19 mass testing after variant detected in E1 postal area
- 3 Politicians join forces on referendum about Tower Hamlets mayor
- 4 Teenager arrested after 13-year-old stabbed in Isle of Dogs
- 5 Ramadan explained: Everything you need to know about the Islamic holy month
- 6 Orient boss McAnuff determined to not help Salford City into the play-offs
- 7 'I'm backing leader and cabinet model in Tower Hamlets referendum'
- 8 Covid patients in intensive care down to single figures at hospital trust
- 9 East London venue to host big-screen Euro 2020 football fanzone
- 10 Man, 19, stabbed in Stepney Green Park