Bishop of Stepney’s wife gets blessing for spouses’ walk for Syrian aid
The Bishop of Stepney’s wife plans a 20-mile sponsored ‘spouses’ walk through east London with other church figures to try and raise �3,000 for emergency relief for Syrian refugees.
Gill Newman was in full practice in Mile End—with husband Adrian Newman’s blessing—ready for her trek next weekend through the Stepney Episcopal Area made up of Tower Hamlets, Hackney and Islington.
“I’ve already had �1,200 from church collections,” she told the Advertiser. “But we want another �2,000 to buy warm bedding and clothes.
“Thousands are living without proper shelter and there is an urgent need for protection as winter falls.”
She is working with ‘Hand in Hand for Syria’, a small charity which is managing to get convoys to places that International Aid agencies often don’t reach. Three containers of supplies are being loaded at the charity’s depot in Kilburn.
You may also want to watch:
Others taking part in Gill’s ‘spouses’ walk are author Bob Gilbert, husband of the vicar of St Nicholas in Poplar, Caz Hughesden, wife of the curate at St Paul’s in Old Ford, and Burnett Brown, husband of the vicar of St James in Clapton.
Joining them are The Venerable Rachel Treweek, Archdeacon of Hackney, and Elizabeth Hatt, a member of St Bride’s which has a memorial to Marie Colvin, the journalist killed in Syria earlier this year.
- 1 Two in five people in Tower Hamlets may have had Covid-19
- 2 Teenager found dead in Victoria Park
- 3 Driver arrested after police 'drugs patrol' stops car in Whitechapel
- 4 'Laptop bonanza' for schoolchildren in Poplar to help survive lockdown gloom
- 5 Students in rent strike over Queen Mary's campus staying open during Covid emergency
- 6 Leyton Orient sign Dan Kemp on a permanent deal from West Ham United
- 7 Drug and alcohol abuse by Tower Hamlets parents and children soars
- 8 That's so raven: Everything you need to know about the guardians of the Tower
- 9 Post deliveries in east London hit by Covid crisis among Royal Mail staff
- 10 Gun seized after woman tells police she was threatened in Whitechapel
They are taking donations online at: www.justgiving.com/Gill-Newman2