Blackwall Tunnel queues spark road rage attack
POLICE are appealing for witnesses to a road rage attack on a motorist at the Blackwall Tunnel entrance in which other drivers didn’t bother raising the alarm or coming to his aid. An aggressive van driver smashed the window of a car while the terrified motorist was inside, showing glass in his face
By Julia Gregory
POLICE are appealing for witnesses to a road rage attack on a motorist at the Blackwall Tunnel entrance in which other drivers didn't bother raising the alarm or coming to his aid.
An aggressive van driver smashed the window of a car while the terrified motorist was inside, showing glass in his face.
The incident two weeks ago happened by the traffic lights on the southbound carriageway of the A12 approach road in Poplar, leading into the tunnel, as the home-going rush-hour was building up at 3.50pm on June 24. But no-one called police.
You may also want to watch:
The motorist appeared to have been targeted by the driver of a white Ford transit because he didn't let his van pull in front of him.
The van driver got out and smashed the car window with a hockey stick or similar weapon, showering the terrified 31-year-old with glass.
- 1 Police bid to trace man in connection with Tube station sex assault
- 2 Jailed: Bethnal Green man who tried to buy hand grenade to use on police
- 3 Met launches summer operation as teen killings surge
- 4 Whitechapel lab to research East End's high throat cancer rates
- 5 'Tokyo Olympics? Tough call after Covid,' says Montell Douglas
- 6 Trial date set for MP Apsana Begum charged with 'housing fraud'
- 7 'We need more Covid vaccines,' Tower Hamlets mayor warns
- 8 Tributes paid after Tower Hamlets councillor dies at 40
- 9 Rabina Khan: What we must do five years on from Brexit referendum
- 10 Campaign groups link up for Hackney Town Hall anti-road closure demo
The motorist was later treated in hospital for cuts to his face.
"There will have been lots of people there at that time," said a police spokeswoman.
"But nobody reported it to us apart from the victim. People don't want to get involved."
The road-rage van driver is described as "a dark-skinned European" with stocky build, short with brown hair.
Police this week issued an appeal for witnesses to the June 24 incident to contact the violent crime unit on 020-7275 4536, or Crimestoppers anonymously on 0800-555111.