60 firefighters tackle blaze at Shadwell rickshaw depot in railway arches under Fenchurch Street main line
- Credit: LFB
Fire has broken out in Shadwell under railway arches in Cable Street affecting the DLR and main-line Fenchurch Street trains.
Six emergency crews from fire-stations across east London and south-east London were called in to tackle the blaze at 4.15pm.
The fire started in a railway arch used as a storage depot for rickshaws, but no injuries have been reported.
“The fire broke out in a business under the railway arches,” fire-brigade station commander Mark Jordan said. “Trains on the DLR are running at reduced speeds so services may be affected.”
Crews are containing the blaze without having to close roads, but rush-hour traffic along Cable Street remains heavy, so the fire brigade is advising drivers to avoid the area.
You may also want to watch:
The blaze was under control in an hour. Firefighters arriving from Shadwell fire station a few hundreds yards along Cable Street were joined by others from Whitechapel, Shoreditch, Millwall and Poplar fire stations as well as a crew from Dockhead the other side of the river in Bermondsey. The cause of the fire is being investigated.
- 1 Jailed: East End county lines dealers who peddled heroin and crack cocaine
- 2 Tideway super sewer arrives at Tower Bridge ready to bore east London
- 3 Man arrested in east London for terrorist offences
- 4 Leyton Orient announce Embleton exit
- 5 Shamima Begum cannot return to UK, Supreme Court rules
- 6 Thugs attack each other with bottles of wine in supermarket mass brawl
- 7 Fear of mental health crisis as loneliness rises among disabled
- 8 Cigarette sparks fire in Poplar block of flats
- 9 Flower markets appeal to be allowed to open in time for Mother's Day
- 10 Police catch 70 people breaching Covid rules