60 firefighters tackle blaze at Shadwell rickshaw depot in railway arches under Fenchurch Street main line
- Credit: LFB
Fire has broken out in Shadwell under railway arches in Cable Street affecting the DLR and main-line Fenchurch Street trains.
Six emergency crews from fire-stations across east London and south-east London were called in to tackle the blaze at 4.15pm.
The fire started in a railway arch used as a storage depot for rickshaws, but no injuries have been reported.
“The fire broke out in a business under the railway arches,” fire-brigade station commander Mark Jordan said. “Trains on the DLR are running at reduced speeds so services may be affected.”
Crews are containing the blaze without having to close roads, but rush-hour traffic along Cable Street remains heavy, so the fire brigade is advising drivers to avoid the area.
You may also want to watch:
The blaze was under control in an hour. Firefighters arriving from Shadwell fire station a few hundreds yards along Cable Street were joined by others from Whitechapel, Shoreditch, Millwall and Poplar fire stations as well as a crew from Dockhead the other side of the river in Bermondsey. The cause of the fire is being investigated.
- 1 Two in five people in Tower Hamlets may have had Covid-19
- 2 Teenager found dead in Victoria Park
- 3 Driver arrested after police 'drugs patrol' stops car in Whitechapel
- 4 'Laptop bonanza' for schoolchildren in Poplar to help survive lockdown gloom
- 5 Students in rent strike over Queen Mary's campus staying open during Covid emergency
- 6 Leyton Orient sign Dan Kemp on a permanent deal from West Ham United
- 7 Post deliveries in east London hit by Covid crisis among Royal Mail staff
- 8 That's so raven: Everything you need to know about the guardians of the Tower
- 9 500 deaf children wait to see if their education needs will be cut by Tower Hamlets Council
- 10 Hunt for bogus health worker who gave fake Covid jab to woman of 92