Blockbuster Video making a comeback in Shoreditch pop-up
- Credit: Archant
Film rental chainstore Blockbuster Video is making a come back opening a two day pop-up shop.
The chain went bankrupt eight years ago, but it returns to Shoreditch with a brand new store to mark the release on DVD and Blu-ray of Ryan Reynolds’ superhero action movie Deadpool 2.
The organisers plan to recreate the original yellow and blue design of the chain’s original stores, but this Blockbuster will only stock the sci-fi comedy.
And fans who still have their membership cards can get a limited edition VHS case with a digital download code for the film.
At its peak Blockbuster Video was a global giant with 9,000 stores worldwide and 528 in the UK alone but changes in home entertainment saw all stores shut from 2010 onwards, with the last UK store closing in December 2013.
You may also want to watch:
Shoreditch’s Blockbuster is due to open from midday on September 17 for two days at 133 Bethnal Green Road.
- 1 Murder arrest after woman stabbed to death in Whitechapel this morning
- 2 Fury as family homes vanish when Isle of Dogs landlord converts to bedsits
- 3 Man sentenced after teenage boy groomed on Snapchat to sell heroin
- 4 Two men arrested after police officers assaulted in Limehouse rave
- 5 Police hunt after stabbing in Cable Street: One man hurt
- 6 Airbnb house party violence leaves police officer with broken finger
- 7 'Racist consultation' protest rejected on Tower Hamlets street closures as Labour sticks to its manifesto
- 8 Leyton Orient boss is expecting more transfer movement in the window
- 9 Council fined for Alexia Walenkaki's playground death in Mile End and says sorry to family
- 10 Teenager found dead in Victoria Park