Bloco rhythms get Culture Secretary dancing in Bethnal Green
THE Culture Secretary danced to the beat of his own drum while on a ministerial visit to London’s East End today. Ben Bradshaw dropped into Bethnal Green’s Rich Mix arts centre to meet youngsters in youth arts projects before he went on to Gordon Brown’s Cabinet meeting at the 2012 Olympic site
THE Culture Secretary danced to the beat of his own drum while on a ministerial visit to London’s East End today.
Ben Bradshaw dropped into Bethnal Green’s Rich Mix arts centre this morning to meet youngsters involved in youth arts projects before he went on to Gordon Brown’s Cabinet meeting at the 2012 Olympic site at Stratford.
He was one of 22 Cabinet ministers visiting the East End to witness artistic, cultural and sporting developments in the run up to the 2012 Games.
Mr Bradshaw said: “London’s culture, especially East London’s, is what helped us win the Olympic bid. So we can’t forget about it now.
“What we are trying to do is to make the Olympics not just about sport. We are trying to bring back the original idea of the Ancient Greeks and make the Olympics about culture as well.”
You may also want to watch:
The Secretary of State joined in a drumming session (pictured) with youngsters from Brazilian-style drumming troupe Bloco Drummers who performed at the Notting Hill Carnival and the Lovebox and Underage festivals in East London’s Victoria Park.
The youngsters put on a performance for Mr Bradshaw, mixing drumming with electronic urban music.
- 1 Flooding causes road and rail disruption across east London
- 2 Nine Tower Hamlets secondary schools rated outstanding by Ofsted
- 3 Apsana Begum's ex-husband may be behind housing bids, trial hears
- 4 MP reported ex-husband to police for alleged 'harassment', trial hears
- 5 East London road and rail disruptions to travel this weekend
- 6 Man arrested following triple stabbing in Isle of Dogs
- 7 Poplar and Limehouse MP's trial on housing fraud charges set to start
- 8 Weather warning in place with east London set for thundery weekend
- 9 Man dies on Isle of Dogs
- 10 Appeal after man allegedly 'spits at' woman travelling through Whitechapel, West Ham and Barking