Blooming marvellous - Tower Hamlets scoops silver gilt in London in Bloom contest
PARKS and gardens in East London are blooming marvellous. That s the verdict of London in Bloom judges who praised the green-fingered gardeners helped Tower Hamlets retain its silver gilt trophy in the annual contest which encourages people to brighten u
PARKS and gardens in East London are blooming marvellous.
That's the verdict of London in Bloom judges who praised the green-fingered gardeners helped Tower Hamlets retain its silver gilt trophy in the annual contest which encourages people to brighten up the area where they live.
Islington won this year's top prize.
Tower Hamlets took third place in the floral display category and homeless charity Crisis won a merit for its Skylight garden.
You may also want to watch:
The judges were taken on a whistle stop tour of Tower Hamlets in July and visited the sunken gardens in Victoria Park - reminiscent of the floral displays from the 1840s when the park first opened.
They also took in floral displays in Museum Gardens and Trinity Square Gardens, and checked out gardens designed to encourage biodiversity in Weavers Fields, Bethnal Green and Mile End Park Ecology Park.
- 1 'Grenfell Tower'-type cladding still not removed from New Providence Wharf after 3 years
- 2 Cops break Covid-19 rules to have haircuts at Bethnal Green police station
- 3 Whitechapel murder victim named as teenager charged with killing
- 4 Murder arrest after woman stabbed to death in Whitechapel this morning
- 5 Covid hero who did charity walk in Bow aged 100 now has vaccine
- 6 Leyton Orient boss Embleton could rotate team for Bolton trip
- 7 Man sentenced after teenage boy groomed on Snapchat to sell heroin
- 8 'It must be urgently addressed': New research into BAME Covid impact
- 9 Lovely Day for Aldgate School picked to sing on Billy Ocean's new single
- 10 Police e-fit expert retiring after 15 years at Bethnal Green