Blue Peter’s Helen Skelton opens Cell’ centre in Whitechapel
A UNIQUE children s science education centre was officially opened today by Blue Peter presenter Helen Skelton. She said the Centre of the Cell based in a working medical school research lab in Whitechapel will inspire scientists working to beat disease.
A UNIQUE children's science education centre was officially opened today by Blue Peter presenter Helen Skelton.
She said the Centre of the Cell based in a working medical school research lab in Whitechapel will inspire scientists working to beat disease.
"One of them will be the person who comes up with the cure for an illness that somebody you love has."
And the free centre which aims to inspire and educate youngsters with hands-on learning got a ministerial seal of approval.
The minister of science and innovation Lord Drayson was in the East End for today's Cabinet meeting on the 2012 Olympics site.
He said: "This is really inspiring. It's a world class facility. It gives young people the opportunity to come into a research lab to see real life research as well as looking at the exhibits."
- 1 New Kray twins book to explore lives of gangsters 'aside from the crimes'
- 2 Bow man appears in court charged with murder after body found in cemetery
- 3 Japanese udon noodles chain to mark Canary Wharf opening with free bowls
- 4 Bow man charged with drugs supply and criminal property offences
- 5 East End's 'last' Victorian funeral parlour being restored - and opens as burger bar
- 6 Riverside park extension above new sewage structures given green light
- 7 Jailed: Man who robbed and blackmailed men he met on Grindr
- 8 'Time to end the injustice': Barts staff set to strike amid pay dispute
- 9 Shoreditch floral café blooms at new premises in Bethnal Green
- 10 How often do Londoners cycle to work in each borough?
The centre is at Newark Street at the Whitechapel campus of Barts and the London School of Medicine and is part of Queen Mary, University of London.
Further details are available on www.centreofthecell.org.uk