‘Blue sky thinkers’ called out in Limehouse author’s jargon book
- Credit: Archant
The myths of ‘blue sky thinking’ and ‘touching base’ have been busted in a new book on City jargon.
Businesswoman-come-comedian Julia Streets has built on her career in the City and Canary Wharf to come up with a book packed with observations about the quirks of corporate language.
In the book, ‘The Lingua Franca of the Corporate Banker’ she serialises some of the more bizarre snippets she has heard herself – with some extraordinary results.
“Throughout my career I have noticed we are getting worse and worse, and worse at using these business expressions”, said Julia, who lives in Limehouse.
“Recently a client asked me whether it was time to open my kimono and then - without any hint of irony - asked me where my sweet spot was.”
Since starting out in stand-up in 2006, she has attracted a growing following, and was approached by a publisher at a gig in the City with a view to bringing a book out.
But as well as offering a good laugh, Julia says the subject matter is a serious one, as international clients grapple with the language of the Square Mile.
- 1 Bow man charged with drugs supply and criminal property offences
- 2 Jailed: Man who robbed and blackmailed men he met on Grindr
- 3 East London boroughs lag behind rest of country for Covid booster uptake
- 4 Councillor says he 'hopes to lose' next election
- 5 Ranjith Kankanamalage death: Man charged with murder
- 6 Gun found in car as Met makes 130 arrests during drugs op
- 7 Jailed: Rapist who repeatedly attacked woman in her own home
- 8 ‘Manhattanisation’ of Isle of Dogs concerns residents
- 9 Lib Dem candidate for Tower Hamlets mayor announced
- 10 Leyton Orient boss Jackett looks at positives from Port Vale point
That’s why the book includes a glossary of 500 of the most commonly used phrases.
She added: “My book is designed to ridicule our excessive use of irritating language and to offer a helpful source of reference for international executives.”
‘The Lingua Franca of the Corporate Banker’ is available now.