Blur’s Alex James pops up at Canary Wharf to spread seeds of country life
- Credit: Anthony Upton/PA Wire
A pop-up farmyard suddenly appeared in the middle of the office tower blocks of Canary Wharf business and shopping district with pop star Alex James.
Sheep, goats and other farmyard animals attracted office workers as part of a campaign to bring a little country life to East London’s busy urban environment.
Alex, bass guitarist from Blur rock band who has turned farm owner, kicked off the campaign by a mobile phone games company pushing the benefits of city farms to encourage people to grow more of their own food.
“I understand the lure of country life, having made the switch from city living myself,” he said. “The chance to grow your own fruit and veg shouldn’t be limited to those who live in the country—urban farms are an escape from the concrete jungle.”
Demonstrations were held in the pop-up farm with tips on how to start growing, even if people don’t have a garden or windowsill.
You may also want to watch:
Office workers had their pen pots, mugs and filing trays given a green makeover, stuffed with soil and seeds to grow their own carrots, strawberries and lettuce.
It follows a survey commissioned by King.com to launch their latest download, Farm Heroes Saga, which found that half Londoners feel lack of green areas contributed to city stress, with only one-in-three having access to a garden.
- 1 14 charged with alleged drug dealing and money laundering offences
- 2 Road and rail round-up: Disruptions to travel in east London this week
- 3 Panel finds gross misconduct proven against Pc arrested on suspicion of drug dealing
- 4 19 arrested and cash seized in East End dawn drug raids
- 5 Police officers save lives in two sperate emergencies on same shift
- 6 Prison sentence increased for 'violent and dangerous' man
- 7 CCTV images released of missing man last seen at Bow Road Station
- 8 Tower hamlets killing: £20,000 reward offered as two men sought for queries
- 9 O’s seeking to end winless run of three games with win over struggling Saddlers
- 10 Man, 19, charged after alleged sexual assaults in Tower Hamlets