BNY Mellon staff cook breakfast for homeless at Whitechapel Mission
- Credit: BNY Mellon
Volunteers from Bank New York Mellon’s Canary Wharf offices cooked up an American breakfast for the homeless of London’s East End at the Whitechapel Mission.
Staff from the global investment organisation served 150 breakfasts to celebrate yesterday’s US Presidents’ day which included an all-American menu.
They dished up eggs-over-easy and American-style crispy bacon with blueberry pancakes and warm maple syrup.
The breakfast room was even specially decorated with buntings, flags and posters of presents past and present—marking the 261st anniversary of George Washington’s birth, the first US president.
The bank’s Jim McEleney said: “The Whitechapel Mission provides invaluable help to the homeless of east London, especially in winter. We have many staff working in Canary Wharf, so we can help the charity improve the lives of people less fortunate than ourselves.”
You may also want to watch:
The bank has supported the shelter since 2008, usually providing the funds for free breakfasts—but this time they came along and cooked it themselves.
It is part of their community partnership which also includes helping the homeless find accommodation and jobs and providing funds for a clothing store distributing to the needy. Around 240 New York bank employees volunteer every year at Whitechapel.
- 1 'Grenfell Tower'-type cladding still not removed from New Providence Wharf after 3 years
- 2 Cops break Covid-19 rules to have haircuts at Bethnal Green police station
- 3 Whitechapel murder victim named as teenager charged with killing
- 4 Murder arrest after woman stabbed to death in Whitechapel this morning
- 5 Covid hero who did charity walk in Bow aged 100 now has vaccine
- 6 Leyton Orient boss Embleton could rotate team for Bolton trip
- 7 Man sentenced after teenage boy groomed on Snapchat to sell heroin
- 8 'It must be urgently addressed': New research into BAME Covid impact
- 9 Lovely Day for Aldgate School picked to sing on Billy Ocean's new single
- 10 Police e-fit expert retiring after 15 years at Bethnal Green