Body of man found in Thames 18 hours after Canary Wharf accident
The body of a man has been found in the Thames 18 hours after a tragic accident when a couple were spotted in the water off Canary Wharf Pier.
It was recovered by a police launch last night at Nelson Dock in Rotherhithe, opposite Canary Wharf. Police are now waiting for formal identification.
Rescuers managed to reach a woman in time after she had fallen in the river at the pier at 12.30am yesterday.
A massive rescue operatioon got under way by police, coastguards, fire brigade, the Tower lifeboat and the Port of London Authority after passers-by raised the alarm when they spotted the couple in the water. A police helicopter was also brought into the rescue.
A patrol launch from the Met Police marine unit at Wapping managed to reach the 23-year-old woman in time and pull her from the water.
You may also want to watch:
A waiting ambulance took her to the Royal London Hospital in Whitechapel where she was later recovering.
But there was no sign of the 30-year-old man until the body was recovered at 7pm last night.
- 1 Sentencing of arms dealers set for one year after Isle of Dogs raid
- 2 Two men arrested in connection with Shadwell double stabbing
- 3 Jailed: Robbers who targeted OAPs at east London cashpoints
- 4 Man found with stab injuries in Stepney
- 5 Teenager suffers 'life-changing' injuries after alleged attack in Shadwell
- 6 Jailed: Tower Hamlets man who tried to rape another man
- 7 David Gomoh's killers jailed 101 years total for Canning Town murder
- 8 Man who died in Mile End park named
- 9 Leyton Orient seal first away win of the season at Bristol Rovers
- 10 'Food delivery' youth in suspect Shoreditch drugs bust