Body of man found in Thames 18 hours after Canary Wharf accident
The body of a man has been found in the Thames 18 hours after a tragic accident when a couple were spotted in the water off Canary Wharf Pier.
It was recovered by a police launch last night at Nelson Dock in Rotherhithe, opposite Canary Wharf. Police are now waiting for formal identification.
Rescuers managed to reach a woman in time after she had fallen in the river at the pier at 12.30am yesterday.
A massive rescue operatioon got under way by police, coastguards, fire brigade, the Tower lifeboat and the Port of London Authority after passers-by raised the alarm when they spotted the couple in the water. A police helicopter was also brought into the rescue.
A patrol launch from the Met Police marine unit at Wapping managed to reach the 23-year-old woman in time and pull her from the water.
You may also want to watch:
A waiting ambulance took her to the Royal London Hospital in Whitechapel where she was later recovering.
But there was no sign of the 30-year-old man until the body was recovered at 7pm last night.
- 1 Trial date set for MP Apsana Begum charged with 'housing fraud'
- 2 Tributes paid after Tower Hamlets councillor dies at 40
- 3 Plans mooted to change East End MP constituency boundaries
- 4 Docklands man pleads guilty to firearms offences
- 5 Delta variant accounts for majority of Covid cases in much of east London
- 6 Friends of John Pierce compiling 'book of memories' for his family
- 7 Photography celebrating Roman Road displayed in high street windows
- 8 Police renew appeal over disappearance of man last seen in Poplar
- 9 Man 'brandishes gun' in busy Canary Wharf restaurant
- 10 Phone snatcher admits guilt after robberies in Islington, Hackney and Tower Hamlets