Bogus caller warning after pensioner targeted
COPS have issued safety advice after a bogus caller conned his way into a pensioner s home. The would-be burglar tricked the 85-year-old woman into letting him into her home off Old Ford Road in Bethnal Green around 2.20pm on Saturday afternoon, claiming
COPS have issued safety advice after a bogus caller conned his way into a pensioner's home.
The would-be burglar tricked the 85-year-old woman into letting him into her home off Old Ford Road in Bethnal Green around 2.20pm on Saturday afternoon, claiming to be a workman working on a downstairs flat.
But the woman became suspicious and the bogus caller was disturbed and left when a neighbour came to check on her.
The neighbour later saw the suspect, who is described as a white man aged around 25, walking along Bonner Road.
You may also want to watch:
Police are appealing for witnesses to contact Det Con Pamela Whitwell in the burglary squad on 020 8217 3772 or Crimestoppers anonymously on 0800 555 111.
Officers have issued crime prevention advice following the attempted burglary and are advising people to fit chains and spy holes to their front doors, check identification carefully and telephone the company callers claim to be from if they are unsure whether they are genuine.
- 1 Vigil for June Harvey one year on from Bow crane tragedy
- 2 'Vexatious charges': MP turns on accusers after acquittal in fraud trial
- 3 East London travel disruption round-up for the week ahead
- 4 Poplar MP acquitted of Tower Hamlets housing fraud
- 5 Mum plans to use Raine's Foundation site for new East Park church school
- 6 Home Office pours £1m into tackling drug-related problems in East End
- 7 Apsana Begum's ex-husband may be behind housing bids, trial hears
- 8 Poplar MP tells court: 'I fled home when brother said I was possessed'
- 9 Dangerously overloaded vans leaving New Spitalfields Market taken off the road
- 10 Unlocked rooms created 'radiation exposure risk' at hospital, inspectors report
Utilities companies now offer a password identification system and callers should be able to give a pre-arranged password as additional proof of identity.