Bogus caller warning after pensioner targeted
COPS have issued safety advice after a bogus caller conned his way into a pensioner s home. The would-be burglar tricked the 85-year-old woman into letting him into her home off Old Ford Road in Bethnal Green around 2.20pm on Saturday afternoon, claiming
COPS have issued safety advice after a bogus caller conned his way into a pensioner's home.
The would-be burglar tricked the 85-year-old woman into letting him into her home off Old Ford Road in Bethnal Green around 2.20pm on Saturday afternoon, claiming to be a workman working on a downstairs flat.
But the woman became suspicious and the bogus caller was disturbed and left when a neighbour came to check on her.
The neighbour later saw the suspect, who is described as a white man aged around 25, walking along Bonner Road.
You may also want to watch:
Police are appealing for witnesses to contact Det Con Pamela Whitwell in the burglary squad on 020 8217 3772 or Crimestoppers anonymously on 0800 555 111.
Officers have issued crime prevention advice following the attempted burglary and are advising people to fit chains and spy holes to their front doors, check identification carefully and telephone the company callers claim to be from if they are unsure whether they are genuine.
- 1 Politicians join forces on referendum about Tower Hamlets mayor
- 2 Mayor or leader: Your choice on May 6
- 3 Covid patients in intensive care down to single figures at hospital trust
- 4 Covid-19 mass testing after variant detected in E1 postal area
- 5 Teenager arrested after 13-year-old stabbed in Isle of Dogs
- 6 Fast broadband deal is signed for thousands of East End homes
- 7 Voting in the Isle of Dogs Neighbourhood Planning Referendum
- 8 'I'm backing leader and cabinet model in Tower Hamlets referendum'
- 9 Ramadan explained: Everything you need to know about the Islamic holy month
- 10 Hundreds of boilers break down in the East End during pandemic
Utilities companies now offer a password identification system and callers should be able to give a pre-arranged password as additional proof of identity.