Bogus caller warning after pensioner targeted
COPS have issued safety advice after a bogus caller conned his way into a pensioner s home. The would-be burglar tricked the 85-year-old woman into letting him into her home off Old Ford Road in Bethnal Green around 2.20pm on Saturday afternoon, claiming
COPS have issued safety advice after a bogus caller conned his way into a pensioner's home.
The would-be burglar tricked the 85-year-old woman into letting him into her home off Old Ford Road in Bethnal Green around 2.20pm on Saturday afternoon, claiming to be a workman working on a downstairs flat.
But the woman became suspicious and the bogus caller was disturbed and left when a neighbour came to check on her.
The neighbour later saw the suspect, who is described as a white man aged around 25, walking along Bonner Road.
You may also want to watch:
Police are appealing for witnesses to contact Det Con Pamela Whitwell in the burglary squad on 020 8217 3772 or Crimestoppers anonymously on 0800 555 111.
Officers have issued crime prevention advice following the attempted burglary and are advising people to fit chains and spy holes to their front doors, check identification carefully and telephone the company callers claim to be from if they are unsure whether they are genuine.
- 1 Luxury Canary Wharf flats going for lower rent set by the council
- 2 Driver, 18, wanted for driving wrong way through Blackwall Tunnel
- 3 Fines totalling £361k handed to East End landlords and agents
- 4 Isle of Dogs man who murdered teenager at Crossharbour DLR sentenced to 27 years
- 5 Liverpool Street to Shenfield line suspended as person hit by train
- 6 Barts Health NHS Trust reports one of lowest rates of vaccinated staff
- 7 Man charged after triple stabbing on night bus in Mile End
- 8 19 arrested and cash seized in East End dawn drug raids
- 9 Capacity at West Ham's London stadium to increase to 62,500
- 10 Man killed after fall from Bow tower block
Utilities companies now offer a password identification system and callers should be able to give a pre-arranged password as additional proof of identity.