BoJo’s bikes come out on top in Top Gear-style cross-London race
BORIS’ bikes finished first in a Top Gear-style cross capital challenge to help raise hundreds for a blistering skin condition charity.
The race was between staff from catering company Vacherin, which runs the Whitechapel Gallery Dining Room, on the Mayor’s new hire bikes, London Underground, by taxi and car and took off from Canary Wharf, ending in west London’s Hammersmith.
The triumphant cyclists, including Vacherin’s commercial director, Phil Roker and Anna Morris (pictured), made their way through the City and West End along the Embankment, around Leicester Square, past Buckingham Palace, Hyde Park Corner and Harrods until they reached their destination in Hammersmith in 59 minutes and 40 seconds, beating the others by minutes.
The tubers came second in one hour, one minute and 19 seconds, followed by the taxi in one hour, two minutes and 10 seconds. The car took the longest at one hour nine minutes and 52 seconds.
Phil said: “We were thrilled to find that we had come first in the challenge but it’s amazing how quickly you can get through some of the busiest areas of London on a bike.”
You may also want to watch:
The competitors raised money for DebRA, the national charity working for people with Epidermolysis Bullosa, a genetic condition which causes painful blistering of the skin and can be fatal.
- 1 Poplar MP acquitted of Tower Hamlets housing fraud
- 2 Jury sent home for the day in MP Apsana Begum's trial on housing fraud charges
- 3 Home Office pours £1m into tackling drug-related problems in East End
- 4 East London travel disruption round-up for the week ahead
- 5 Unlocked rooms created 'radiation exposure risk' at hospital, inspectors report
- 6 'Vexatious charges': MP turns on accusers after acquittal in fraud trial
- 7 Apsana Begum's ex-husband may be behind housing bids, trial hears
- 8 Mum plans to use Raine's Foundation site for new East Park church school
- 9 Poplar MP tells court: 'I fled home when brother said I was possessed'
- 10 MP reported ex-husband to police for alleged 'harassment', trial hears