Bomb alert on London Underground outside Stepney Green station
- Credit: Google
A suspect package left outside Stepney Green Underground station was detonated in a controlled explosion today.
The busy A11 Mile End Road in east London and the beginning of Globe Road had to be cordoned off while a specialist police explosive team was called in to make the device safe.
The alarm was raised at 11.30am by a passer-by who spotted the package left on the pavement by the station entrance and called the emergency services.
“We carried out a controlled explosion as a precaution,” a Scotland Yard spokesman told the East London Advertiser.
“The incident was dealt with as a hoax or a false alarm. The streets around the station were cordoned off and there was no danger to the public.”
You may also want to watch:
Transport for London was alerted and the station closed as a precaution. But services continued on the District and Hammersmith & City lines without stopping at Stepney Green.
The streets were cordoned off for more than an hour until the device was detonated. The streets and station were then reopened.
- 1 Ethnic communities not taking up Covid jabs, Tower Hamlets Mayor warns
- 2 'Racist consultation' protest rejected on Tower Hamlets street closures as Labour sticks to its manifesto
- 3 Airbnb house party violence leaves police officer with broken finger
- 4 Council fined for Alexia Walenkaki's playground death in Mile End and says sorry to family
- 5 Police hunt after stabbing in Cable Street: One man hurt
- 6 Streets around proposed Chinese embassy building could be renamed after persecuted Muslims
- 7 Teenager found dead in Victoria Park
- 8 No injuries but 20 rescued as firefighters tackle Limehouse blaze
- 9 Police raid cannabis factory near Liverpool Street station: 2 arrests
- 10 Death of woman, 75, in Mile End fire could have been avoided
The station has historic security concerns, after the IRA planted a bomb on a District Line train at Stepney Green in 1976 which exploded when it reached West Ham, but caused minimal damage and no injuries.