Boris backs East End tailors during visit to Bethnal Green clothes factory
- Credit: PA Wire/Press Association Images
Boris Johnson showed he was a dab hand with a sewing machine when he had a go at stitching garments during a visit to a newly-opened clothes factory in Bethnal Green this morning.
The Mayor of London popped in to meet boss Barry Laden and workers at East End Manufacturing Ltd, in Dunbridge Street, to promote the role the industry plays in the city’s economy, despite its decline since the 19th and early 20th century.
He pointed out the sector still employs more than 100,000 in the capital today, and added: “I want to support dynamic entrepreneurs, such as Barry Laden, who are proving, in a globally competitive market, that there is a growing demand for goods made here in London.”
East End Manufacturing Ltd opened in October 2012 and employs 10 people who produce 500 garments a week.
Mr Laden MBE, the company’s CEO, said his grandparents worked as London tailors, but witnessed the shift of manufacturing from the East End to the Far East.
You may also want to watch:
“It’s my belief that East End Manufacturing can be the start of bringing clothing manufacturing back to this part of London,” he said.
“I believe my business can grow into something big - designers small and large agree with me that manufacturing locally is key to supporting the economy and creating jobs in 2013 and beyond.”
- 1 Driver, 18, wanted for driving wrong way through Blackwall Tunnel
- 2 Building new tower block starts on Limehouse Triangle 'wildlife site'
- 3 Study asks: why are canals and rivers a watery lifeline during pandemic?
- 4 Luxury Canary Wharf flats going for lower rent set by the council
- 5 Mapped: Possession of weapons across east London
- 6 Report reveals scale of support offered by council during Covid crisis
- 7 Isle of Dogs man who murdered teenager at Crossharbour DLR sentenced to 27 years
- 8 14 charged with alleged drug dealing and money laundering offences
- 9 Fines totalling £361k handed to East End landlords and agents
- 10 Man charged after triple stabbing on night bus in Mile End