Boris delight at London's new buses
Boris Johnson has finally got his way as the final designs for new double-decker buses for London are unveiled. Mr Johnson vowed to bring back a greener version of the old Routemaster
Boris Johnson has finally got his way as the final designs for new double-decker buses for London are unveiled.
Mr Johnson vowed to bring back a 'greener' version of the old Routemaster buses when he took office in 2008.
Yesterday, he unveiled the new design for the fleet which is due to start running in 2012.
The buses, which will have two staircases, are made of lightweight materials and the use of glass produces 'a light and airy feel' inside.
You may also want to watch:
Mr Johnson said: "This iconic new part of our transport system is not only beautiful, but also has a green heart beating beneath its stylish, swooshing exterior.
- 1 Leyton Orient confident next manager will take them to the next level
- 2 Man, 20, found fighting for life at illegal rave in Bow
- 3 Fire breaks out in flat near New Providence Wharf tower block
- 4 South Africa and Indian Covid variants found in Shoreditch and Dalston
- 5 Indian variant of Covid-19 - what's the situation in London?
- 6 Groomed girl speaks out after 'dangerous' Barking dealer who dealt Class A drugs in East End is jailed
- 7 Ex-police officer among group jailed for £850k intercept from rival gangs
- 8 Dog festival gets go-ahead for Isle of Dogs, of all places
- 9 Battle lost to save historic Whitechapel bell foundry
- 10 Kenny Jackett emerges as odds-on favourite for Leyton Orient job