Boris delight at London's new buses
Boris Johnson has finally got his way as the final designs for new double-decker buses for London are unveiled. Mr Johnson vowed to bring back a greener version of the old Routemaster
Boris Johnson has finally got his way as the final designs for new double-decker buses for London are unveiled.
Mr Johnson vowed to bring back a 'greener' version of the old Routemaster buses when he took office in 2008.
Yesterday, he unveiled the new design for the fleet which is due to start running in 2012.
The buses, which will have two staircases, are made of lightweight materials and the use of glass produces 'a light and airy feel' inside.
You may also want to watch:
Mr Johnson said: "This iconic new part of our transport system is not only beautiful, but also has a green heart beating beneath its stylish, swooshing exterior.
- 1 Jailed: Cyclist who rode off after fatal collision with 'gentleman', 72
- 2 Leyton Orient still looking to add one or two new signings
- 3 Jury sent home for the day in MP Apsana Begum's trial on housing fraud charges
- 4 Leyton Orient sign Theo Archibald on loan from Lincoln City
- 5 Highest point reached on new homes in disused Bethnal Green car park
- 6 Poplar MP tells court: 'I fled home when brother said I was possessed'
- 7 John McDonnell is character witness for Poplar MP accused of housing fraud
- 8 Thames Path voted UK's No one for walking — even if blocked in places
- 9 Bidding for Harry Kane's signed jersey open in Wapping Youth FC auction
- 10 ‘Humanitarian disaster’ food shortage for East End families in poverty