Boris finally lands his 2012 Olympics legacy deal 5 months late
PUBLISHED: 18:00 17 March 2010 | UPDATED: 15:43 05 October 2010
BORIS Johnson has finally landed his Legacy’ deal with the Government to take over the 2012 Olympics site in East London. The Mayor has secured the take-over from the London Development Agency, five months after the original hand-over date
BORIS Johnson has finally landed his Legacy’ deal with the Government to take over the 2012 Olympics site in East London.
The Mayor has secured the take-over from the London Development Agency today (March 16), five months after the original hand-over date.
The delay cost the Development Agency an extra £12 million and raised questions at the London Assembly last week.
The deal follows complex negotiations to transfer the massive construction site between Stratford and Hackney Wick to the Olympic Park Legacy Company which is to be responsible for securing the future of the site.
It was announced by Boris to an audience of investors at an international property conference lunch in Cannes hosted by the Legacy Company to promote investment in East London after 2012.
“This has been a long and complex negotiation,” he told them. “But we have now reached agreement with the Government. This is a good deal for London, an equal partnership between the Mayor and Government.”
The transfer to the Legacy Company made “a bright future for East London” after 2012.
Investors had told the Mayor they needed a single go to’ person and organisation with total responsibility and accountability.
If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the East London Advertiser. Click the link in the orange box above for details.