Boris is wrong—he IS squeezing Londoners, with fare rises
Dear Ed, IT IS correct that the London Assembly agreed Boris Johnson’s budget and the freeze in the GLA element of council tax. But it is wrong that this has been done without squeezing Londoners, particularly the poorest
IT IS correct that the London Assembly agreed Boris Johnson’s budget and the freeze in the GLA element of council tax (Last thing I want to do in squeeze is hit people with more taxes, Advertiser website Letters, February 24).
But it is wrong that this has been done without squeezing Londoners, particularly the poorest.
The Mayor’s GLA council tax freeze will save the average London household about 11p a week, while his hike in public transport fares has increased bus and tube travel between �160 and �300 a year—that’s a whopping �5 a week.
Yes, it is important that household costs are kept to a minimum. But this has to be sustained year on year.
Boris Johnson’s budget is for this year only. He refuses to comment on his tax plans for the future.
It is unclear how Boris will pay for the local police patrolling our streets, or for the Freedom Pass for older Londoners in future years.
- 1 Whitechapel dessert shop fined over £5,000 for dumping waste
- 2 Update: Woman, 56, missing in Tower Hamlets found
- 3 The Queen’s Platinum Jubilee flypast: Where, and when, the planes will fly over north and east London
- 4 Two teenagers charged after 12 phones nicked in stealing spree
- 5 Cyclist in 'critical but stable' condition after Whitechapel lorry crash
- 6 How many Covid patients are there in east London hospitals this week?
- 7 Section 60 in place across Tower Hamlets after Stepney stabbing
- 8 Cyclist in hospital after lorry collision in Whitechapel
- 9 Can you answer these 10 GCSE questions designed for 16-year-olds?
- 10 Mile End: Car crashes into bus stop during police pursuit
In days of economic uncertainty, we look to those in power to offer comfort and leadership. This means more than achieving one-year savings. It means more than cutting important projects just to grab a tax freeze headline.
John Biggs (Lab)
London Assembly Member for City and East