Boris is wrong—he IS squeezing Londoners, with fare rises
Dear Ed, IT IS correct that the London Assembly agreed Boris Johnson’s budget and the freeze in the GLA element of council tax. But it is wrong that this has been done without squeezing Londoners, particularly the poorest
IT IS correct that the London Assembly agreed Boris Johnson’s budget and the freeze in the GLA element of council tax (Last thing I want to do in squeeze is hit people with more taxes, Advertiser website Letters, February 24).
But it is wrong that this has been done without squeezing Londoners, particularly the poorest.
The Mayor’s GLA council tax freeze will save the average London household about 11p a week, while his hike in public transport fares has increased bus and tube travel between �160 and �300 a year—that’s a whopping �5 a week.
Yes, it is important that household costs are kept to a minimum. But this has to be sustained year on year.
You may also want to watch:
Boris Johnson’s budget is for this year only. He refuses to comment on his tax plans for the future.
It is unclear how Boris will pay for the local police patrolling our streets, or for the Freedom Pass for older Londoners in future years.
- 1 Flooding causes road and rail disruption across east London
- 2 Nine Tower Hamlets secondary schools rated outstanding by Ofsted
- 3 Apsana Begum's ex-husband may be behind housing bids, trial hears
- 4 MP reported ex-husband to police for alleged 'harassment', trial hears
- 5 East London road and rail disruptions to travel this weekend
- 6 Man arrested following triple stabbing in Isle of Dogs
- 7 Poplar and Limehouse MP's trial on housing fraud charges set to start
- 8 Weather warning in place with east London set for thundery weekend
- 9 No arrests after triple stabbing in Isle of Dogs
- 10 Appeal after man allegedly 'spits at' woman travelling through Whitechapel, West Ham and Barking
In days of economic uncertainty, we look to those in power to offer comfort and leadership. This means more than achieving one-year savings. It means more than cutting important projects just to grab a tax freeze headline.
John Biggs (Lab)
London Assembly Member for City and East