Boris scrapping LDA is a cover for cuts’ London Assembly warned
THE London Development Agency is under threat from plans by Boris Johnson to take on more powers from Whitehall. The London Assembly deputy leader has given a warning to the Mayor against undermining economic support’ for London’s economic recovery
THE London Development Agency is under threat from plans by Boris Johnson to take on more powers from Whitehall.
Labour's deputy leader on the London Assembly has given a warning today to the Mayor against 'undermining economic support' to secure London's economic recovery.
Assembly budget chairman John Biggs said: "Clearly the LDA has faced difficulties under both of London's mayors.
"But scrapping the organisation could just be cover for the savage cuts Boris Johnson and the Coalition Government want to inflict on London's important employment and skills programmes.
"We are moving towards real economic hardship when the numbers in need will swell and the services they depend on will shrink."
He urged: "This is not the right time to be cutting support for the jobs that will secure London's economic recovery."
Biggs' warning follows yesterday's Mayoral address to the first London Congress of local authority leaders since the May 6 elections, when he presented his plans for more powers devolved from Whitehall to City Hall, in response to Downing Street's decision to dismantle the Government Office for London immediately.
- 1 Coroner concerned with Barts NHS trust after woman 'unlawfully killed'
- 2 Jailed: Rapist who repeatedly attacked woman in her own home
- 3 Man arrested over two separate rape allegations - one previously unknown to police
- 4 Lib Dem candidate for Tower Hamlets mayor announced
- 5 Come Dine With Me calls on east London restaurants for new show
- 6 One per cent council tax rise planned with borough set for balanced budget
- 7 Olympian burglary: Men with links to Plaistow and Isle of Dogs wanted
- 8 ‘It is not tolerated’: CCTV images released after West Ham game disorder
- 9 Guilty: East London criminals jailed in December 2021
- 10 Wanted: Man known to commit offences on train and tube network