Boris slammed for Olympic cuts
LONDON Assembly member John Biggs has criticised Boris Johnson for withdrawing funding promised to make improvements to one of the East End s main routes ahead of the Olympics. Funding of �2 million to spruce up Whitechapel Road, Mile End Road and Bow Roa
LONDON Assembly member John Biggs has criticised Boris Johnson for withdrawing funding promised to make improvements to one of the East End's main routes ahead of the Olympics.
Funding of �2 million to spruce up Whitechapel Road, Mile End Road and Bow Road, dubbed High Street 2012, has been scrapped, along with the �1.6 million skills and jobs scheme for the five Olympic host boroughs and a �170,000 scheme to support the disabled in Olympic jobs.
London Assembly Member for City and East London John Biggs said: "The whole purpose of the London bid for the Olympics and Paralympics was to support east London.
"We were promised schemes to help local people and local businesses to take advantage of all the opportunities the Games presented. Next we are told that the Mayor is slashing these projects or massively cutting their funding.
You may also want to watch:
"This isn't good enough. I will be making the case for east London and demanding that the Mayor explain why he targeted these projects in particular."
The funding cuts were made after it came to light that the Mayor's London Development Agency had failed to notice a shortfall of �160 million in its budget.
- 1 Tribute to 7th Barts Health Trust worker to die of Covid-19
- 2 Airbnb house party violence leaves police officer with broken finger
- 3 Teenager found dead in Victoria Park
- 4 Driver arrested after police 'drugs patrol' stops car in Whitechapel
- 5 Drug and alcohol abuse by Tower Hamlets parents and children soars
- 6 'We need laptops for lockdown children to learn from home’ Tower Hamlets mayor urges
- 7 Disgraceful management of the pandemic
- 8 Two in five people in Tower Hamlets may have had Covid-19
- 9 Post deliveries in east London hit by Covid crisis among Royal Mail staff