Boris urged to step in over City Airport flights expansion
DEMANDS are being made on Boris Johnson to step into the controversial decision to expand London City Airport. The London Assembly has called on the Mayor to review the decision to allow a 50 per cent increase in flights
DEMANDS are being made on Boris Johnson to step into the controversial decision to expand London City Airport.
The London Assembly has called on the Mayor today for an urgent review of the decision by Newham Council in East London to give the green light for a 50 per cent increase in flights.
Assembly members voted unanimously a resolution concerned at overflights’ causing noise nuisance over Greenwich, the Isle of Dogs, Bow, Hackney, Leyton, Wanstead, Dagenham, Hornchurch and Bexley.
Murad Qureshi, who proposed today’s motion, said: “City Airport cannot be allowed to expand at a rate which threatens the quality of life for hundreds of thousands of Londoners.
“The increased flight numbers, type of aircraft and the flight paths have an impact on the residents living far beyond the boundaries of Newham.
You may also want to watch:
“This is clearly a strategic issues that the Mayor can and should offer leadership on.”
Flights to and from City Airport have risen from 80,000 to 120,000 a year. Concerns are also being raised about the flight paths which are subject to review by the Civil Aviation Authority which Assembly members say “have exacerbated the problems.”
- 1 'Vexatious charges': MP turns on accusers after acquittal in fraud trial
- 2 Poplar MP acquitted of Tower Hamlets housing fraud
- 3 East London travel disruption round-up for the week ahead
- 4 Mum plans to use Raine's Foundation site for new East Park church school
- 5 Home Office pours £1m into tackling drug-related problems in East End
- 6 Apsana Begum's ex-husband may be behind housing bids, trial hears
- 7 Unlocked rooms created 'radiation exposure risk' at hospital, inspectors report
- 8 Leyton Orient still looking to add one or two new signings
- 9 Dangerously overloaded vans leaving New Spitalfields Market taken off the road
- 10 Jury sent home for the day in MP Apsana Begum's trial on housing fraud charges