Boris urged to step in over City Airport flights expansion
DEMANDS are being made on Boris Johnson to step into the controversial decision to expand London City Airport. The London Assembly has called on the Mayor to review the decision to allow a 50 per cent increase in flights
DEMANDS are being made on Boris Johnson to step into the controversial decision to expand London City Airport.
The London Assembly has called on the Mayor today for an urgent review of the decision by Newham Council in East London to give the green light for a 50 per cent increase in flights.
Assembly members voted unanimously a resolution concerned at overflights’ causing noise nuisance over Greenwich, the Isle of Dogs, Bow, Hackney, Leyton, Wanstead, Dagenham, Hornchurch and Bexley.
Murad Qureshi, who proposed today’s motion, said: “City Airport cannot be allowed to expand at a rate which threatens the quality of life for hundreds of thousands of Londoners.
“The increased flight numbers, type of aircraft and the flight paths have an impact on the residents living far beyond the boundaries of Newham.
You may also want to watch:
“This is clearly a strategic issues that the Mayor can and should offer leadership on.”
Flights to and from City Airport have risen from 80,000 to 120,000 a year. Concerns are also being raised about the flight paths which are subject to review by the Civil Aviation Authority which Assembly members say “have exacerbated the problems.”
- 1 Luxury Canary Wharf flats going for lower rent set by the council
- 2 Driver, 18, wanted for driving wrong way through Blackwall Tunnel
- 3 Isle of Dogs man who murdered teenager at Crossharbour DLR sentenced to 27 years
- 4 Fines totalling £361k handed to East End landlords and agents
- 5 Man charged after triple stabbing on night bus in Mile End
- 6 Man killed after fall from Bow tower block
- 7 Barts Health NHS Trust reports one of lowest rates of vaccinated staff
- 8 Go-ahead given for 315 more homes in third stage of Blackwall Reach scheme
- 9 Road and rail disruptions to expect in east London this week
- 10 Man found stabbed on board night bus