Bow Fire Station's drive to recruit firefighters from minority backgrounds
FIREFIGHTERS are campaigning for new recruits to join the Brigade to reflect the ethnic diversity and multiculturalism of the East End. White Watch manager at Bow Fire Station Kevin Welch is appealing for people who lead community groups and clubs to get
FIREFIGHTERS are campaigning for new recruits to join the Brigade to reflect the ethnic diversity and multiculturalism of the East End.
White Watch manager at Bow Fire Station Kevin Welch is appealing for people who lead community groups and clubs to get in touch if they are interested in learning more about the London Fire Brigade.
He said: "We're a pretty multicultural bunch here at Bow but we want more people from minorities to join the Brigade so we can reflect what a multicultural place Tower Hamlets is.
"We're always looking for women to join us, as well as people from different ethnic backgrounds.
You may also want to watch:
"I think people think that we can't accommodate people with disabilities but that's not true; there are lots of different things all sorts of people can do in the Fire Brigade."
Mr Welch said that being a firefighter was not just about putting out fires and that the Brigade needs people with different skills to carry out the different kinds of work it does.
- 1 14 charged with alleged drug dealing and money laundering offences
- 2 Road and rail round-up: Disruptions to travel in east London this week
- 3 Panel finds gross misconduct proven against Pc arrested on suspicion of drug dealing
- 4 19 arrested and cash seized in East End dawn drug raids
- 5 Police officers save lives in two sperate emergencies on same shift
- 6 Prison sentence increased for 'violent and dangerous' man
- 7 CCTV images released of missing man last seen at Bow Road Station
- 8 O’s seeking to end winless run of three games with win over struggling Saddlers
- 9 Tower hamlets killing: £20,000 reward offered as two men sought for queries
- 10 Man, 19, charged after alleged sexual assaults in Tower Hamlets
He added: "One of our main functions is to engage with people from different communities so it helps us if we have people from those communities working for us as well."
Anyone interested in learning more about working for the London Fire Brigade or organising for Mr Welch to come and talk to their group can contact him at email@example.com or visit www.lonodon-fire.gov.uk