Bow Fire Station's drive to recruit firefighters from minority backgrounds
FIREFIGHTERS are campaigning for new recruits to join the Brigade to reflect the ethnic diversity and multiculturalism of the East End. White Watch manager at Bow Fire Station Kevin Welch is appealing for people who lead community groups and clubs to get
FIREFIGHTERS are campaigning for new recruits to join the Brigade to reflect the ethnic diversity and multiculturalism of the East End.
White Watch manager at Bow Fire Station Kevin Welch is appealing for people who lead community groups and clubs to get in touch if they are interested in learning more about the London Fire Brigade.
He said: "We're a pretty multicultural bunch here at Bow but we want more people from minorities to join the Brigade so we can reflect what a multicultural place Tower Hamlets is.
"We're always looking for women to join us, as well as people from different ethnic backgrounds.
"I think people think that we can't accommodate people with disabilities but that's not true; there are lots of different things all sorts of people can do in the Fire Brigade."
Mr Welch said that being a firefighter was not just about putting out fires and that the Brigade needs people with different skills to carry out the different kinds of work it does.
- 1 Section 60 in place across Tower Hamlets after Stepney stabbing
- 2 Cyclist in hospital after lorry collision in Whitechapel
- 3 Mile End: Car crashes into bus stop during police pursuit
- 4 'Lucky' escape: Family flees Bethnal Green fire thanks to fire alarms
- 5 'A horrific attack': Man suffers critical head injuries from Shoreditch fight
- 6 Warnings issued after four fox clubs found stuck in old car wheels
- 7 'Staffing crisis' means children's hospice cannot offer end of life care
- 8 Jailed: 9 east London offenders put behind bars in April
- 9 Aspire 'will work for everyone in Tower Hamlets' after winning majority
- 10 Local election 2022: Lutfur Rahman wins Tower Hamlets mayoral vote
He added: "One of our main functions is to engage with people from different communities so it helps us if we have people from those communities working for us as well."
Anyone interested in learning more about working for the London Fire Brigade or organising for Mr Welch to come and talk to their group can contact him at firstname.lastname@example.org or visit www.lonodon-fire.gov.uk