Bow girl who plummeted to her death named by neighbours
A NINE-year-old girl who died after falling 15 floors to the concrete below her tower block home has been named locally as Leanne.
The youngster fell from Sandall House in Daling Way, Bow on Saturday afternoon.
She attended Old Ford School in Wrights Road, and was well known and liked by neighbours.
It is believed that she dropped to her death from out of her bedroom window, although police have yet to confirm where Leanne fell from.
Her mother, step-father and younger brother are staying with family and police have taken possession of their flat to make it safe.
Residents of the 20-storey building expressed their shock today.
Fourteenth floor resident, Shohel Ahmed, 28, a student, said: “I feel very sad about it because she was really little.
- 1 East London boroughs lag behind rest of country for Covid booster uptake
- 2 Jailed: Man who robbed and blackmailed men he met on Grindr
- 3 Ranjith Kankanamalage death: Man charged with murder
- 4 Councillor says he 'hopes to lose' next election
- 5 Travel disruptions: Hackney, Islington, Tower Hamlets, Newham
- 6 Gun found in car as Met makes 130 arrests during drugs op
- 7 Jailed: Rapist who repeatedly attacked woman in her own home
- 8 Olympian burglary: Men with links to Plaistow and Isle of Dogs wanted
- 9 Lib Dem candidate for Tower Hamlets mayor announced
- 10 Guilty: East London criminals jailed in December 2021
“It could have been my cousin or my brother. There’s no safety like a grill on the windows. When I look after my cousins, the children know they mustn’t go near the windows. But I worry, it’s impossible to look after all the time.”
Another 34-year-old neighbour, who did not want to be named, said she had been unable to sleep since seeing Leanne lying on the floor.
“I can’t get the picture of her out of my head. On Saturday, I saw a police man crying, he said he’d had to view the CCTV footage of her fall, can you imagine?”
“If that was my daughter, I’d be in a mental hospital by now.”
Officers were called at 2.40pm by a member of the public who reported seeing a child injured on the pavement outside.
Air ambulance and ambulance crews were called to the scene. The girl was treated and taken to an east London hospital by air.
She was pronounced dead at approximately 3.30pm.
Tower Hamlets CID are investigating the incident.
No arrests have been made.