Bow girl who plummeted to her death named by neighbours
A NINE-year-old girl who died after falling 15 floors to the concrete below her tower block home has been named locally as Leanne.
The youngster fell from Sandall House in Daling Way, Bow on Saturday afternoon.
She attended Old Ford School in Wrights Road, and was well known and liked by neighbours.
It is believed that she dropped to her death from out of her bedroom window, although police have yet to confirm where Leanne fell from.
Her mother, step-father and younger brother are staying with family and police have taken possession of their flat to make it safe.
You may also want to watch:
Residents of the 20-storey building expressed their shock today.
Fourteenth floor resident, Shohel Ahmed, 28, a student, said: “I feel very sad about it because she was really little.
- 1 Politicians join forces on referendum about Tower Hamlets mayor
- 2 Mayor or leader: Your choice on May 6
- 3 Teenager arrested after 13-year-old stabbed in Isle of Dogs
- 4 Covid-19 mass testing after variant detected in E1 postal area
- 5 Covid patients in intensive care down to single figures at hospital trust
- 6 Fast broadband deal is signed for thousands of East End homes
- 7 Voting in the Isle of Dogs Neighbourhood Planning Referendum
- 8 Ramadan explained: Everything you need to know about the Islamic holy month
- 9 'I'm backing leader and cabinet model in Tower Hamlets referendum'
- 10 Bronze Age hoard to go on show after 3,000 years and an extra year's delay
“It could have been my cousin or my brother. There’s no safety like a grill on the windows. When I look after my cousins, the children know they mustn’t go near the windows. But I worry, it’s impossible to look after all the time.”
Another 34-year-old neighbour, who did not want to be named, said she had been unable to sleep since seeing Leanne lying on the floor.
“I can’t get the picture of her out of my head. On Saturday, I saw a police man crying, he said he’d had to view the CCTV footage of her fall, can you imagine?”
“If that was my daughter, I’d be in a mental hospital by now.”
Officers were called at 2.40pm by a member of the public who reported seeing a child injured on the pavement outside.
Air ambulance and ambulance crews were called to the scene. The girl was treated and taken to an east London hospital by air.
She was pronounced dead at approximately 3.30pm.
Tower Hamlets CID are investigating the incident.
No arrests have been made.