Bow investment manager set for gruelling Saharan desert run
- Credit: Archant
An investment manager has swapped the City for the Sahara where he will run 150 miles over seven days to raise cash for a heart muscle disease charity.
Matthew Woodrow flew out to Morocco on Thursday to take part in the gruelling ‘Marathon Des Sables’ across the African desert.
The 36-year-old, of Bow Road, has already raised more than £6,000 in sponsorship for heart muscle disease charity the Cardiomyopathy Association. He chose the cause in light of the tragic death of a family friend at the age of just 20 from cardiomyopathy in 2001.
Ahead of starting the run on Sunday, Matthew said: “It’s a fantastic adventure and I feel privileged to be able to do it.
“We have to carry everything we need to survive except water. So the run is often cited as the toughest footrace on Earth.”
You may also want to watch:
Matthew has form when it comes to completing long distance runs. He ran his first London Marathon in 2002, and has been completing so-called ‘ultra marathons’ of 65 miles as part of his preparation in the past six months.
“I enjoy taking part in these events as it is in complete contrast to my everyday deskbound job”, he said.
- 1 Road and rail disruptions to expect in east London this week
- 2 Isle of Dogs man who murdered teenager at Crossharbour DLR sentenced to 27 years
- 3 Luxury Canary Wharf flats going for lower rent set by the council
- 4 Driver, 18, wanted for driving wrong way through Blackwall Tunnel
- 5 Man charged after triple stabbing on night bus in Mile End
- 6 Why TfL won't restart the night tube on Jubilee line just yet
- 7 19 arrested and cash seized in East End dawn drug raids
- 8 Man killed after fall from Bow tower block
- 9 'Grief and queer coming of age' theatre show to be put on for London Horror Festival
- 10 14 charged with alleged drug dealing and money laundering offences
“I want to test myself - and ice cold beer tastes best when you’ve really earned it.”
And six days after he returns from his Saharan challenge, the insatiable athlete will run the London Marathon.
To sponsor him, visit: www.justgiving.com/matthew-woodrow