Bow investment manager set for gruelling Saharan desert run
- Credit: Archant
An investment manager has swapped the City for the Sahara where he will run 150 miles over seven days to raise cash for a heart muscle disease charity.
Matthew Woodrow flew out to Morocco on Thursday to take part in the gruelling ‘Marathon Des Sables’ across the African desert.
The 36-year-old, of Bow Road, has already raised more than £6,000 in sponsorship for heart muscle disease charity the Cardiomyopathy Association. He chose the cause in light of the tragic death of a family friend at the age of just 20 from cardiomyopathy in 2001.
Ahead of starting the run on Sunday, Matthew said: “It’s a fantastic adventure and I feel privileged to be able to do it.
“We have to carry everything we need to survive except water. So the run is often cited as the toughest footrace on Earth.”
You may also want to watch:
Matthew has form when it comes to completing long distance runs. He ran his first London Marathon in 2002, and has been completing so-called ‘ultra marathons’ of 65 miles as part of his preparation in the past six months.
“I enjoy taking part in these events as it is in complete contrast to my everyday deskbound job”, he said.
- 1 'Grenfell Tower'-type cladding still not removed from New Providence Wharf after 3 years
- 2 Cops break Covid-19 rules to have haircuts at Bethnal Green police station
- 3 Murder arrest after woman stabbed to death in Whitechapel this morning
- 4 Whitechapel murder victim named as teenager charged with killing
- 5 Covid hero who did charity walk in Bow aged 100 now has vaccine
- 6 Leyton Orient boss Embleton could rotate team for Bolton trip
- 7 Man sentenced after teenage boy groomed on Snapchat to sell heroin
- 8 Police e-fit expert retiring after 15 years at Bethnal Green
- 9 Lovely Day for Aldgate School picked to sing on Billy Ocean's new single
- 10 'It must be urgently addressed': New research into BAME Covid impact
“I want to test myself - and ice cold beer tastes best when you’ve really earned it.”
And six days after he returns from his Saharan challenge, the insatiable athlete will run the London Marathon.
To sponsor him, visit: www.justgiving.com/matthew-woodrow