Bow investment manager set for gruelling Saharan desert run
- Credit: Archant
An investment manager has swapped the City for the Sahara where he will run 150 miles over seven days to raise cash for a heart muscle disease charity.
Matthew Woodrow flew out to Morocco on Thursday to take part in the gruelling ‘Marathon Des Sables’ across the African desert.
The 36-year-old, of Bow Road, has already raised more than £6,000 in sponsorship for heart muscle disease charity the Cardiomyopathy Association. He chose the cause in light of the tragic death of a family friend at the age of just 20 from cardiomyopathy in 2001.
Ahead of starting the run on Sunday, Matthew said: “It’s a fantastic adventure and I feel privileged to be able to do it.
“We have to carry everything we need to survive except water. So the run is often cited as the toughest footrace on Earth.”
Matthew has form when it comes to completing long distance runs. He ran his first London Marathon in 2002, and has been completing so-called ‘ultra marathons’ of 65 miles as part of his preparation in the past six months.
“I enjoy taking part in these events as it is in complete contrast to my everyday deskbound job”, he said.
- 1 Man, woman and child escape 'large' e-bike fire in Wapping flat by climbing out window
- 2 Tower Hamlets A Level results 2022: Live updates for borough's schools
- 3 Plan to install gates at canalside development blocked despite ASB concerns
- 4 Thames Water: Hosepipe ban announced for London and Thames Valley
- 5 'Do not eat' - Lidl recalls product over bacteria fears
- 6 Teenager, 17, arrested after car crashes into Bow apartment building
- 7 'Ruthless' killer sentenced for Isle of Dogs murder
- 8 Investigation under way after fire and explosion at Shoreditch block
- 9 Jailed: Eight east London offenders locked up in July
- 10 All Points East 2022: Gorillaz, Idles line-up and stage times
“I want to test myself - and ice cold beer tastes best when you’ve really earned it.”
And six days after he returns from his Saharan challenge, the insatiable athlete will run the London Marathon.
To sponsor him, visit: www.justgiving.com/matthew-woodrow