Bow murder Victim Wayne Stockdale’s widow Anne loses fight against cancer

Anne Stockdale, pictured with photographs of Wayne after his murder

Anne Stockdale, pictured with photographs of Wayne after his murder - Credit: Archant

The widow of murder victim Wayne Stockdale shot dead two years ago in a “mistaken identity” attack has finally lost her fight with cancer.

Murder victim Wayne Stockdale

Murder victim Wayne Stockdale - Credit: Archant

Some 300 mourners packed into Poplar’s All Saints Church for 44-year-old Anne Stockdale’s funeral.

She was buried at East London Cemetery in West Ham last Tuesday.

Now the family are renewing their appeal to trace Wayne’s killers who gunned him down in a pedestrian subway at Devon’s Road in Bromley-by-Bow and were never caught.

The couple’s daughter Charlene Tracey, 25, wants justice for the family after two years.

“My mum was well loved and had a beautiful send off,” she said.

“But she never got the justice she deserved. My two brothers and I will continue to seek justice.”

Most Read

Tracey urged: “Someone must know who did it. We ask them please to come forward and tell police what they know.”

She looked after Anne in her dying months—and now wants to train as a nurse in her memory.

Tracey is also fundraising for St Joseph’s Hospice in South Hackney which cared for Anne towards the end.

“Mum was proud of St Joseph’s and wanted me to be a nurse like them,” she added. “The hospice staff were wonderful. Mum loved it there.”

She is making a sponsored sky dive for St Joseph’s and running a 10k ‘Race for Life’ in aid of Cancer Research.

Wayne had given up his job as a printer at a firm in Bromley-by-Bow to look after Anne when she was first diagnosed in 2009.

The community rallied round the family after Wayne was shot.

A close member of the family said this week: “We want to thank everyone for their support.

“Anne lost her battle with cancer after four years. It went into remission and she was recovering—but the trauma of Wayne’s murder brought it all back.”

Mother-of-three Anne had just been given the ‘all clear’ the day before Wayne, 42, was shot in the pedestrian subway next to Devons Road DLR station on May 6, 2011, while cycling to a friend’s house just 30 seconds away and less than a mile from the family’s home at Portree Street in Poplar. Wayne died four days later at the Royal London Hospital.