Search

‘Bow School staff failed my son’ mother of tragic Nasar Ahmed says after Poplar inquest

PUBLISHED: 11:49 12 May 2017 | UPDATED: 12:27 12 May 2017

Nasar Ahmed died in hospital after allergic reaction to school meal. Picture: PA

Nasar Ahmed died in hospital after allergic reaction to school meal. Picture: PA

The parents of a teenager who died after an allergic reaction to his school dinner have accused staff of failing their duty of care.

Nasar taken ill at Bow School. Picture: GOOGLENasar taken ill at Bow School. Picture: GOOGLE

Nasar Ahmed was in an exclusion room with other pupils at Bow School in east London when he became unwell on November 10.

The 14-year-old who had a history of severe asthma and food allergies had a reaction to milk in his tandoori chicken lunch and went into anaphylactic shock.

But staff at the school failed to administer his EpiPen, which may have saved his life, an inquest heard. He died four days later in the Royal London Hospital in Whitechapel.

Poplar coroner Mary Hassell returned a narrative conclusion at today’s inquest conclusion.

“The staff saw Nasar’s EpiPen and considered using it—but didn’t,” the coroner said.

“If the EpiPen had been used promptly and Nasar had been administered adrenaline, there is a possibility but not a probability that this would have changed the outcome.”

Nasar’s mother Ferdousi Zaman, speaking today outside Poplar Coroner’s Court, blamed a “failed duty of care”.

She said: “If Nasar has anaphylaxis, I give him his EpiPen.

“They are first-aiders and are more knowledgeable than me. But they have failed their duty of care.”

The inquest had previously been told that first-aider Cherie Hyde put Nasar in the recovery position and searched for a pulse as he struggled for breath.

Nasar was not breathing well enough for her to use the inhaler. She was focused on his asthma rather than the allergies and the need for his EpiPen.

Another staff member brought Nasar’s personal first aid box, which contained an inhaler and the EpiPen. There was a five-minute ‘window’ before the ambulance arrived when staff could have used the EpiPen—but it wasn’t given to him.

The Year 9 pupil had asthma, severe eczema and a host of allergies, including to milk, fish, nuts, wheat, some meats, apples and oranges.

Cause of death was bronchial asthma that led to a hypoxic ischaemic brain injury, with the food allergies as contributing.


If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the East London Advertiser. Click the link in the orange box above for details.

Become a supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Latest from the East London Advertiser