Brass band and chips mark St George’s Day in Shadwell
- Credit: Archant
St George’s Day was marked with free fish and chips all round at a party yesterday.
Around 100 residents and guests enjoyed a concert from a brass band whose members travelled down from Bolton for the occasion, and tucked into a traditional English lunch served up courtesy of their housing association.
Tower Hamlets Community Housing (THCH) organised the patriotic event at the Tarling East Community Centre in Martha Street, Shadwell.
The band came recommended form Lancashire-based housing association Bolton at Home, which has close relations with THCH.
It was their first performance in front of a live audience since they formed just over a year ago.
You may also want to watch:
THCH’s community housing officer Shamim Hossain said: “The band were great considering the relatively short time they have been together and we hope all who came along had a great time.”
- 1 Teenager found dead in Victoria Park
- 2 Driver arrested after police 'drugs patrol' stops car in Whitechapel
- 3 Two in five people in Tower Hamlets may have had Covid-19
- 4 'I can save the planet with my seaweed' scientist in east London claims
- 5 Drug and alcohol abuse by Tower Hamlets parents and children soars
- 6 Disgraceful management of the pandemic
- 7 'Laptop bonanza' for schoolchildren in Poplar to help survive lockdown gloom
- 8 That's so raven: Everything you need to know about the guardians of the Tower
- 9 Post deliveries in east London hit by Covid crisis among Royal Mail staff
- 10 Pressure on government to provide laptops for lockdown learning