Brick Lane dance groups strut their stuff at the Royal Opera House
A dance group based in Brick Lane became the first Bollywood dancers in history to perform at the Royal Opera House.
Bolly-Flex, who nearly reached the final of Sky TV’s Got To Dance, performed at the Gala evening alongside the Royal Ballet, Swan Lake and Diana Ross last week.
A team of 20 dancers led by dance partners Naz Choudhury and Leena Patel presented an exclusive preview of their coming Bollywood dance spectacular at the Covent Garden venue.
Naz, the group’s founder, who was born and bred in Brick Lane, said: “Performing at the Royal Opera House was a dream come true for me, I have been trying to get to that stage for years. For the first time in my life I was really nervous, but credit to the team we danced our heart out because it wasn’t just about us, it was about making history and taking our legacy forward. This wouldn’t have been possible without our success on Got To Dance, thank you to everyone who supported us.”
At a gala dinner afterwards Naz got to meet Royal Ballet and Swan Lake teams. He said: “They were all amazed with our performance. It is full of energy and power, we train a bit like athletes to get very fit, and they had never seen anything like that before.”
You may also want to watch:
He said the conductor and producer of the Royal Ballet orchester is now interested in working with them.
Bolly-Flex, who train at studios in Brick Lane, Commercial Road and at Queen Mary University in Mile End, is now preparing to tour Britain with their 90-minute Bollywood Dance Spectacular, premiering Hackney Empire on July 30.
- 1 It's been a busy week at Leyton Orient with plenty of signings expected
- 2 Tributes paid after Tower Hamlets councillor dies at 40
- 3 Leyton Orient linked with Omar Beckles, Connor Wood and Paul Smyth
- 4 Drivers fight Tower Hamlets for years over 'clamping on private land'
- 5 Docklands man pleads guilty to firearms offences
- 6 Plans mooted to change East End MP constituency boundaries
- 7 Friends of John Pierce compiling 'book of memories' for his family
- 8 Thunderstorms, heavy rain forecast as Met Office issues yellow warnings
- 9 Search is on for next Tower Hamlets Freedom of the Borough award recipient
- 10 Golfer to visit Canary Wharf on 'world's longest golf hole challenge'