Brick Lane dance groups strut their stuff at the Royal Opera House
A dance group based in Brick Lane became the first Bollywood dancers in history to perform at the Royal Opera House.
Bolly-Flex, who nearly reached the final of Sky TV’s Got To Dance, performed at the Gala evening alongside the Royal Ballet, Swan Lake and Diana Ross last week.
A team of 20 dancers led by dance partners Naz Choudhury and Leena Patel presented an exclusive preview of their coming Bollywood dance spectacular at the Covent Garden venue.
Naz, the group’s founder, who was born and bred in Brick Lane, said: “Performing at the Royal Opera House was a dream come true for me, I have been trying to get to that stage for years. For the first time in my life I was really nervous, but credit to the team we danced our heart out because it wasn’t just about us, it was about making history and taking our legacy forward. This wouldn’t have been possible without our success on Got To Dance, thank you to everyone who supported us.”
At a gala dinner afterwards Naz got to meet Royal Ballet and Swan Lake teams. He said: “They were all amazed with our performance. It is full of energy and power, we train a bit like athletes to get very fit, and they had never seen anything like that before.”
You may also want to watch:
He said the conductor and producer of the Royal Ballet orchester is now interested in working with them.
Bolly-Flex, who train at studios in Brick Lane, Commercial Road and at Queen Mary University in Mile End, is now preparing to tour Britain with their 90-minute Bollywood Dance Spectacular, premiering Hackney Empire on July 30.
- 1 Two men arrested in connection with Shadwell double stabbing
- 2 Sentencing of arms dealers set for one year after Isle of Dogs raid
- 3 Man found with stab injuries in Stepney
- 4 Teenager suffers 'life-changing' injuries after alleged attack in Shadwell
- 5 Jailed: Robbers who targeted OAPs at east London cashpoints
- 6 Jailed: Tower Hamlets man who tried to rape another man
- 7 Man who died in Mile End park named
- 8 Leyton Orient seal first away win of the season at Bristol Rovers
- 9 Travel round-up: Road and rail disruptions this week
- 10 Joe Gallen full of praise for O's forwards in Bristol Rovers victory