Brick Lane restaurant drops out in finals for best curry’
THE best curry’ contest at the Brick Lane Curry Festival this year has been declared null and void. One of the competing restaurants didn’t have enough staff when it got through to the hot’ finals
By Biz Carson
THE best curry’ contest at the Brick Lane Curry Festival this year has been declared null and void.
One of the competing restaurants in the early stage of the contest didn’t have enough staff when it got through to the hot’ finals in London’s East End on Monday.
So organisers had to cool it’ and not name the winner, even though thousands of eager punters sampled and voted on the finalist dishes.
Four of the five finalist restaurants doled out small shooters of curry to the hungry patrons as lines wrapped around the Old Truman Brewery’s Vibe Bar and almost out onto the street.
The curry celebration, however, went ahead just the same, despite the lack of an outright winner.
- 1 Travel bulletin: Islington, Hackney, Tower Hamlets, Newham
- 2 Abba Voyage: A spectacular trip into an enchanted world
- 3 RideLondon 2022: East and central London roads among 100 miles of closures
- 4 Revealed: Your favourite fish and chip shop in east London
- 5 Tower Hamlets neighbours must 'temporarily leave' and pay £85k for building repairs
- 6 Maskless passengers on London trains and buses fined 4,000 times
- 7 Appeal: CCTV image released after mosque attacked with bottles
- 8 Whitechapel dessert shop fined over £5,000 for dumping waste
- 9 Girl, 17, held on suspicion of terrorism offences after east London arrest
- 10 Two teenagers charged after 12 phones nicked in stealing spree
Pints of lager were being pulled all afternoon while a DJ and dancers transformed the stage and atmosphere into a Bollywood vibe.
The 10th annual Brick Lane Curry Festival runs until Friday (June 4). Restaurants are offering special menus and 20 per cent discount.
Other category winners were Masala Restaurant best presentation,’ Brick Lane Brasserie House of Spice best service,’ Mango Restaurant best interior decor,’ Muhib Indian Cuisine best Cobra served’ and Clifton Tandoori best value.’