BT apprentices and UBS Wealth Management scoop London regional awards
- Credit: National Apprenticeship Service
Apprentice Naim Hamade has received a commendation for Higher Apprentice of the Year in the regional London apprentices awards. Naim, a BT trainee from the Isle of Dogs, was among top apprentices in the regional finals of this year’s national Apprenticeships awards.
A finance consultancy in Spitalfields on the City Fringe also won Employer Newcomer of the Year title which went to UBS Wealth Management head office in Bishopsgate, it was announced at a reception at City Hall on Wednesday, organised by the National Apprenticeship Service.
A government programme aims to reach three million apprenticeships in the next five years.
“They are crucial in supporting our businesses and economy,” Skills Minister Nick Boles told the awards ceremony. “All the winners deserve recognition, from local businesses to large household names.”
The awards challenge trainees to come forward and show how apprenticeships are making a real difference to their careers, while also throwing the gauntlet down to employers to come up with sustainable training schemes.
You may also want to watch:
London Mayor Boris Johnson said: “Young people are helping to shape the City’s future economy as well as equipping themselves to make their own prospects brighter.
“Apprenticeships offer a first step onto the ladder of career success, while offering businesses a way to fill gaps with a motivated and qualified workforce.”
- 1 Teenager found dead in Victoria Park
- 2 Driver arrested after police 'drugs patrol' stops car in Whitechapel
- 3 Two in five people in Tower Hamlets may have had Covid-19
- 4 Post deliveries in east London hit by Covid crisis among Royal Mail staff
- 5 Disgraceful management of the pandemic
- 6 'I can save the planet with my seaweed' scientist in east London claims
- 7 Drug and alcohol abuse by Tower Hamlets parents and children soars
- 8 Leyton Orient boss Embleton expecting more movement in the transfer window
- 9 Leyton Orient seal late victory over Morecambe
- 10 Leyton Orient sign Dan Kemp on a permanent deal from West Ham United
This year’s region winners are: Intermediate Apprentice Maria Dare-Ojo from Compass Group UK, Advanced Apprentice Lauren Tiller from BT, Higher Apprentice Sean Norgate also from BT and Apprentice Champion of the Year Joshua Uwadiae from eCourier.
Companies winning regional titles are: Newcomer Large Employer UBS Wealth Management in Bishopsgate, Small Employer Keybridge IT Solutions, Medium Employer Troup Bywaters & Anders, Large Employer Breyer Group and Macro Employer BAE Systems.