Building bridges to London's 2012 Olympics
IMAGES released by the Olympic Delivery Authority show the progress being made in the construction of a new network of roads and bridges linking the East End with the Olympic Park site. The main north-south route through the Olympic Park and new bridges
IMAGES released by the Olympic Delivery Authority show the progress being made in the construction of a new network of roads and bridges linking the East End with the Olympic Park site.
The main north-south route through the Olympic Park and new bridges into the Olympic Stadium and Aquatics Centre have already been built and construction work is now underway on 21 bridges in total. More than 30 new bridges will be built in the Olympic Park altogether
The new bridges will join up isolated pieces of land segregated by railway lines and waterways and forms part of the single biggest construction project the ODA is delivering.
Construction work has already been completed on the main north-south bridge and it is now being used by construction traffic.
You may also want to watch:
The first new footbridge into the stadium site is nearing completion, spanning 41 metres across the River Lea to create an 11 metre-wide pedestrian link into the western side of the Olympic Stadium.
Construction work is also well underway on four more bridges into the stadium site.
- 1 Fury as family homes vanish when Isle of Dogs landlord converts to bedsits
- 2 Man sentenced after teenage boy groomed on Snapchat to sell heroin
- 3 'Racist consultation' protest rejected on Tower Hamlets street closures as Labour sticks to its manifesto
- 4 Two men arrested after police officers assaulted in Limehouse rave
- 5 Covid vaccination hub opening in Westfield next week
- 6 NHS nurse assaulted at east London hospital
- 7 Police hunt after stabbing in Cable Street: One man hurt
- 8 Teenager found dead in Victoria Park
- 9 Airbnb house party violence leaves police officer with broken finger
- 10 Man sentenced for assault on Homerton Hospital nurse
Along with the construction of new bridges, work is also now underway to construct the Olympic Park Loop Road - a new 12km road that circles the Olympic Park site.